[iDC] Introduction: The Internet as Playground and Factory

Michael Bauwens michelsub2003 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 13 03:31:59 UTC 2009

I find the temporal interpretation below very debatable, and contrary to my own experience.

Before 2001, the internet was massively infused by investment and speculative capital, co-existing with isolated TAZ's from the postmodern arty left (not meant as pejorative), which was communicating amongst itself. In 2001, the bubble crashed, and instead of withering away, an enormous amount of extra non-capital driven innovation was released (risk capital was nearly absent after the crash, and major innovations like Bittorrent were achieved with zero risk capital), which would eventually lead to Web 2.0 business models which made the platforms sustainable in the long run, and caused a quantum leap of participation, no longer confined to the isolated TAZ's, but massified to nearly the total wired population. The nostalgia you feel is the same as that of the early internet pioneers of the late eighties and early nineties, the sense that the frontier has been invaded by the masses. But was is nostaligia for you, is an enormous emancipatory progress for
 the mass of the population. Yes, you pay a price, the sheriff has moved in as well, but he has still moved in a new territory which wasn't there before.

Of course, I'm putting into brackets the business models and enclosures, and this is a important debate, but it in no way diminishes the fact that participation far from diminishing, made a quantum leap forwards, though at the price of abolition the dominance of a political minority congregating in its own isolated forums.

That nostalgia is the feeling of a tiny minority and fully understandable, but it is time to get over it and secure more autonomous participation by everybody,

Capital has not won, it is merely recognizing the victory of participation and adapting to it, turning it to its own use and benefit; what "we" have to do is exactly the same, and it is of course what your are saying despite the nostalgia argument, i.e. the struggle and the construction continues. My position would be: how can we use capital, just as it is using us.

The future is not being built in the laments of nettime, but in the millions that are creating real life and business alternatives, on their own terms, sometimes adapting to the realities of capital, but always to fullfill their own new structures of desire, which are infused with open, participatory, and commons oriented values.

Michel