[iDC] Introduction: The Internet as Playground and Factory

Michael Bauwens michelsub2003 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 13 03:39:32 UTC 2009

Trebor, my remark here would be the same as my just sent response to Sean.

Why see this as the exclusive benefit of capital, and be blind to how people are using these services for the construction of their own lives, using what is at hand. Knowledge workers have agency, just as netarchical capital has, and they are not merely parasiting, though they are to a degree, they are making services sustainable which are present NOT sustainable without them. Unless we start peer producing infrastructures ourselves, the sharing mode by itself is not strong enough to sustain itself. Only fully commons oriented peer production efforts have shown the capability of creating independent infrastructures.

We can imagine a three-pronged strategy:

- use and accept commercial platforms to our benefit

- make sure that user rights and data ownership and free network services principles are being followed as a terrain of social struggle between sharing communities and platform owners

- consider peer producing our own p2p infrastructures when 1 and 2 are not working to our satisfaction,

Michel