[iDC] Exploitation....

Lilly Irani lirani at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 11 22:42:22 UTC 2009

Hi all -

I've been thinking a lot about Amazon Mechanical Turk this year (the side
project that haunts me). I've found Charis Thompson's work (which I've
encountered through Lucy Suchman) and Donna Haraway's work most though
provoking in considering a post-Marxist, post-relativist exploitation.

One take on exploitation might be to see not who gets objectified, but how
those objectifications and exploitations are choreographed, controlled, and
assembled, and how they are or are not open to reconfiguration. In studies
of how particular women voluntarily place themselves under the objectifying
gaze of a doctor for fertility therapy, Charis Cussins (Thompson) "locates
alienation not in objectification per se, but in the breakdown of
synechdochal relations between parts and whole that make objectification of
various forms into associated forms of agency." Suchman explains that "It is
this process 'of forging a functional zone of compatibility that maintains
referential power between things of different kinds' that she names
ontological choreography." Ontological choreography touches on issues of
control and feelings of control brought up in this thread, it relates to
class (im)mobility, and also debates about agency in sex work /
exploitation. (My reading is from Suchman's "Agencies in Technology Design:
Feminist Reconfigurations":
www.lancs.ac.uk/fass/sociology/papers/suchman-agenciestechnodesign.pdf )

Donna Haraway takes on exploitation and labor more directly in her book Ch 3
("Sharing Suffering: Instrumental Relations Between Animals and People") of
the book "When Species Meet." In thinking through animals as *laborers*
instead of as food or lab animals, she draws links to the ways production is
often gendered and raced (asian women in semi-conductor factories or
africans dying in the wars over the coltan destined for our cellphones).
Critiquing vegans and PETA who base their actions on the logic of
privileging animals as sacrosanct while saying nothing of the exploitation
of others (people) who labor and die, she says "try as we might to distance
ourselves, there is no way of living that is not also a way of someone, not
just something, else dying differentially." (80) Haraway suggests
responsibility and responsiveness as an alternate framework for thinking
about exploitation -- in other words, seeing exploitation as a failed sort
of relation that has to be judged by time and situation, rather than by who
has the capital or the breasts.

Both Cussins and Haraway, then, suggest that exploitation has to do with a
lack of responsibility, a lack of responsiveness, a breakdown in which fluid
relations are continually forced into reified ones.

This helps me think about mechanical turk as not necessarily, essentially
exploitative, despite the exploitative rhetoric Amazon deploys about what
the platform is (Turk and the Human API of deraced, degendered human
cognitive labor accessible 24-7). It suggests that claiming the exploitation
of low-paid turk workers demands attention to the particular reasons why
those people are doing turk and how they are (or are not) able to
reconfigure those relations.

~lilly

Lilly Irani
University of California, Irvine