[iDC] some thoughts on digital labor and populations

Anne Beffel abeffel at me.com
Mon Jun 8 16:58:23 UTC 2009

I've noticed a huge shift in how my students at Syracuse University
relate to their worlds in social and physical terms, which I believe
impact what they value, and ultimately shape the dominant cultural
values. Namely, they are constantly checking facebook other social
networking sites to remain "connected" and feel validated. Many of
them talk about it as an addiction.

Cultural shifts are hard to define, but the majority of my students'
appreciation for being present in the moment without some kind of
technological interface has definitely decreased. With this decrease
in appreciation comes a decrease in the ability to consciously place
their attention on anything for a sustained amount of time without
checking their technological interfaces.
-Anne Beffel
Associate Professor of Art
Time Arts/ Foundation
Syracuse University