[iDC] Introduction re: netarchical capitalism's underlying social contract

Michael Bauwens michelsub2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 7 11:39:59 UTC 2009

I was asked by Trebor to present myself and to engage with the discussion.

The discussion will follow in 2-3 days, here already a basic presentation.

The bio, which I'm adding at bottom  is at http://p2pfoundation.net/Bio ; the bibliography is here at
http://p2pfoundation.net/Bibliography_of_Michel_Bauwens

There are a few articles which are closely related to the topic at hand, namely in particular:

- The social web and its social contracts. Re-public, . Retrieved from http://www.re-public.gr/en/?p=261

Tiziana's interview with me teases out many of these topics as well, see http://p2pfoundation.net/Il_Manifesto_Interview_English_version

In this article, I attempt to squary both the social advances and exploitative nature of what I call netarchical capitalism.

For coverage of such topics, see:

- http://del.icio.us/mbauwens/P2P-Conflicts

- http://del.icio.us/mbauwens/Netarchical-Capitalism

That's it for today, I'll definitely will engage with the topic in more detail, by answering Trebor's questions.

More background links, before the bio and biblio link below are here:

Working at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhurakij_Pundit_University - http://www.dpu.ac.th/dpuic/info/Research.html - http://www.asianforesightinstitute.org/index.php/eng/The-AFI

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation: http://p2pfoundation.net - http://blog.p2pfoundation.net - http://p2pfoundation.ning.com; Monitor updates at http://del.icio.us/mbauwens

Bio:

"Michel Bauwens is an active writer, researcher and conference speaker on the subject of technology, culture and business innovation. He is the founder of the Foundation for Peer-to-Peer Alternatives and works in collaboration with a global group of researchers in the exploration of peer production, governance, and property. He has been an analyst for the United States Information Agency, knowledge manager for British Petroleum, eBusiness Strategy Manager for Belgacom, as well as an internet entrepreneur in his home country of Belgium. He has co-produced the 3-hour TV documentary Technocalyps with Frank Theys, and co-edited the two-volume book on anthropology of digital society with Salvino Salvaggio. Michel is currently Primavera Research Fellow at the University of Amsterdam and external expert at the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences (2008). Michel currently lives in Bangkok, Thailand. In February 2009, he joined Dhurakij Pundit University’s
 International College as Lecturer, assisting with the development of the Asian Foresight Institute."