[iDC] Introduction re: "The Internet as Playground and Factory"

Stephanie Rothenberg info at pan-o-matic.com
Sat Jun 6 18:14:36 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a professor at SUNY Buffalo in the
Dept of Visual Studies. I have been mucking about in Second Life and
digital games for the past few years creating my own projects as well
as using it in the classroom. I co-created a virtual designer jeans
sweatshop with Jeff Crouse that lets real world customers order
actual, wearable jeans and watch them be made virtually in the Second
Life factory. As a mixed reality performative project in the physical
world and the virtual, it intends to pose questions around both the
"fruits" of progress and the potential for exploitation through new
models of outsourced capitalist production involving forms of
telematic labor.
www.doublehappinessjeans.com
http://blip.tv/file/779038

I've also been quite intrigued with the evolution of the industrial
training film as a vehicle for social engineering into what I believe
to be one of its more current incarnation's – online education and
most often edutainment through the production of play. Specifically in
terms of the global workplace and in countries that are transitioning
from manual labor to more information-based economies. I recently
created my own instructional training program that reflects on this
topic and the notion of physical labor for virtual gain (www.perpetualtraining.com
). I am interested in how this convergence becomes a transference and
translation of not only the worker's physical skills but the values,
behaviors and ideologies of one's physical labor into more cognitive
forms. Much of this has been theorized in relation to the history of
hobbies with regards to makers/DIY and collectors, and how hobbies
have been instrumentalized wtihin capital's struggle against idleness
and now into free virtual labor.

I am curious as to how this convergence affects millions of workers
living in transitioning economies that are not web savvy as well as
how it will affect the increasing numbers of unemployed manual workers
in the US – the 20,000 supposedly being laid off by GM's bankruptcy
would be a good example. Do we run the risk of an Alex Rivera "Sleep
Dealer" scenario of telematic production or are there junctures of
intervention within the training format for this emerging virtual
working class? And furthermore how do we define class since the old
labels of blue/white/manual/unskilled don't quite make sense anymore.

I'm currently spending a great deal of my waking hours (and now I
think my dream time which is kinda sorta scary) in Second Life
"playing" Barbara Ehrenreich works the metaverse. If you are working
both worlds in which your real world job and virtual job intersect in
any which way whatever, I'd really really love to hear from you!

Best,

Stephanie
(aka Doctor Rodenberger in Second Life )

Stephanie Rothenberg
Assistant Professor
Department of Visual Studies
University at Buffalo