[iDC] Alan's questions about media theory/ies

naxsmash naxsmash at mac.com
Sat Jul 25 00:24:16 UTC 2009

Hi Jordan, Alan and everybody, If you don't mind my slumming from over
at -empyre-, we've been talking about these 'apprehensions' Jordan and
Suely are talking about -- or as Suely speaks of it to Manon de
Boer :  "Resonating Surfaces"  .
On -empyre- frm yesterday, a brief exchange between myself and Judith
Rodenbeck maybe relates to Jordan's comment here, and provides a vivid
example in the person and work of Barbara Rubin ('Christmas on
Earth')  http://www.jonasmekas.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JM&Product_Code=14

Jordan's new thinking deepens the levels of meaning of the word
'assemblage'  -- blatsts of layered sensing/knowing not all of it
verbal...  or: that the words come forth from within a stuttering,
aphasia (that last bit on aphasia/speech is my  artistic  take on
trauma and speech--
'aphasia/parrhesia"  ,  see also "Resonating Surfaces, " by Manon de
Boer on Suely Rolnick  http://www.frieze.com/issue/article/manon_de_boer/

 >snippet<

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Christina McPhee <naxsmash at mac.com>
>> Date: July 24, 2009 12:40:36 AM PDT
>> To: soft_skinned_space <empyre at lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au>
>> Subject: Re: [-empyre-] queer cooptation and cooptation loops
>>
>> Judith quoting Gramsci's Prison Notebooks,'
>>> The passage continues:
>>>
>>> "Š.. Once the process of adaptation has been completed, what
>>> really happens
>>> is that the brain of the worker, far from being mummified, reaches
>>> a state
>>> of complete freedom. The only thing that is completely mechanised
>>> is the
>>> physical gesture; the memory of the trade, reduced to simple
>>> gestures
>>> repeated at an intense rhythm, Œnestles¹ in the muscular and
>>> nervous centres
>>> and leaves the brain free and unencumbered for other occupationsŠ."
>>
>> Could only be true if you could deter the needs of the brain-body--
>> I mean the whole system of energy-- cold comfort.
>>
>> iIn Judith's ref I read about Barbara Rubin as you and Micha
>> mention-- "Christmas on Earth
>> that Rubin struggled with weight and  self medicated then exploded
>> her sense of the body, her body as superexpanded cinema
>>
>> quote Art in America, Dec, 2005 by Daniel Belasco
>>
>> In Barbara, movies and life seem to have changed places. 'It's
>> backward living,' she says. 'We watch it rather than live it. When
>> I shoot I'm just emanating feeling all over--it's like it's someone
>> else shooting, not me."' (43) Rubin's curious quotation expresses
>> the experience of dislocation, where sensation and technology work
>> together to reverse the flow of meaning
>>
>> it's the rebellion o the worker bee
>> she reverses the flow, she refuses to leave the brain free
>> (=gorking out on drugs)
>> goes into cinema as if cutting herself
>> skin-neurons montage
>>

>> Jonas Mekas:  "bursting and burning with hallucinations, shooting
>> her first movie, with the excitement of a holy nun, feverishly
>> engaged to rip fragments of veiled revelations from her
>> subconscious and the world, the sensory experiences and visions of
>> the sad loveless century, pouring her heart out."  http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1248/is_11_93/ai_n15979875/pg_7/?tag=content;col1

christina

http://christinamcphee.net
http://vimeo.com/christinamcphee/channels