[iDC] iDC Digest, Vol 55, Issue 31

Michael Bauwens michelsub2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 14:50:13 UTC 2009

Thanks Douglas for explaining this, we are on a pretty similar wavelength,

We could argue that today, a very large part of surplus value extraction is not done directly at production, but indirectly through the financial system

Perhaps another way to argue the same point is that we have discovered that in distributed networks, power lie in invisible architectures that drive behaviour in one direction or another, and that the proper response against that protocollary power (alexander galloway) is value sensitive design (as recently argued here by Stephen Downes). Hence, the need to redesign open monies away from compound interest and stranglehold intermediation by banks."

I have collated quite a bit of documentation on the social production of open money here at http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Money

(if the  underlying links don't work, the category link has access to them)

For example:

Introductory Articles
	1. Read this excellent introduction to the negative role of interest-based money by Charles Eisenstein
	2. Best current report on the topic: Creating New Money: A monetary reform for the information age. By Joseph Huber & James Robertson. New Economics Foundation
	3. Arthur Brock: Differences between Open Source and Open Currencies
	4. Kevin Carson introduces the Peer Money debates

Hot Topics:
	1. WIR Economic Circle Cooperative: this 70-old Swiss mutual credit clearing system is getting traction as a model for the rest of Europe
	2. The creation of the Open Source Hardware Reserve Bank. Details here
	3. The Metacurrency Project: the tci/ip platform for diverse currency creation
	4. The Swedish interest-free Jak Bank [1]

Goals:
	1. Better redistribution of the existing money
	2. Transformation of the monetary system through the social production of money
	3. Alternatives to money: Peer Production ; Gift Economy ; Sharing; and other ways to assist in a transition to a more Resource Based Economy through Peer to Peer Exchanges and P2P Exchange Infrastructure Projects