[iDC] The internet that is not one

Armin Wagner arminbw at mail.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jul 13 00:24:11 UTC 2009

Am 11.07.2009 um 18:57 schrieb Dean, Jodi:
> A question for the list (this is a real question that comes out of
> conversations I've had in the last few months):
>
> Is there one internet?
>
> Is the internet singular, a unity?
>
> Are there multiple internets?

If you connect several networks using gateways and protocols - so the
whole thing starts to work like a single network - you get an
internetwork (formerly known as catenet). If the level of abstraction
isn't necessary it's just a network.

Apart from that, there is an old and still ongoing dispute about the
capitalization and the plural form. Basically the most famous set of
interconnected networks today is called "the Internet", like "our
Moon" is "a moon".

And from a Lacanian perspective: the mainstream cyberpunk genre
started with the image of the “other” cyberspace (see last two pages
of Neuromancer).

Armin