[iDC] "recursive publics"

Dean, Jodi JDEAN at hws.edu
Fri Jul 10 17:05:14 UTC 2009

Amanda--

Blind justice is one image. But there are others, others that I find more defensible and appealing.

As I see a claim to justice is a political claim. It aims to take a fact or element out of its everydayness and universalize it, to make it visible
as a matter larger than itself, to make it stand for something more, for something that is of collective concern.

I don't know what the term subjective politics means--maybe something like self-interest?

I also don't think 'our system is corrupted by politics.' The claim that something is corrupt, though, is a political claim (one with a particularly strong history
in republican politics/politics oriented around civic virtue).

I don't know what it means to say that 'the mission of politics... is to inject favoritism' etc. As I see it, politics is the struggle that occurs around
the fundamental antagonism around which socialities emerge. Claims regarding fairness and unfairness are political claims.

Jodi