[iDC] Labor in Second Life

Scott Kildall scott at kildall.com
Thu Jul 9 18:19:23 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your considered response. These are good questions!

As far as your primary inquiry goes, it wasn't so much that builders
in Second Life insisted on being paid money but rather when doing the
business negotiations, we framed it as a paid project.

In the 5th step of the pitch, I would state that we would pay
500L-3000L for each object, depending on its complexity. There were
many reasons to pay the builders, but one of them was certainly to
create a sense of obligation: we wanted to get 40 finished objects.

I observed roughly three types of builders:
1. Those that connected to the concepts behind the project and gave a
discount rate/more time than requested.
2. Those that wanted to make money in SL and could care less about the
project itself.
3. Artists that I knew in real life who participated in SL and wanted
to participate in the project.

My feeling is that for #2, that the website was a way of giving them
attention to their business in SL and for #1 and #3, it was a way of
acknowledgement, like giving credits at the end of a film for the
production team.

And as for as advertising in real life, we didn't post on Craigslist
(too general), but did do some extensive publicity on some SL-related
blogs to solicit builders. We got just one person from this source
(The Portable Hole). It took me awhile to figure out the optimal way
to get builders in SL. Doing loads of IMs to logged in avatars was the
best solution because meeting in-world where we could look at the
Imaginary Objects Showroom in shared time was critical to quickly
initiating agreements.

On a related note, I recently finished a video installation (called
"Black Hole Series") where I built a green screen in SL and used its
physics engine to make objects drift towards a swirling black hole. To
obtain specific objects (I needed about 60 for the final project) that
I couldn't find for free or cheap in SL, I worked with one of the
builders from the No Matter project (he was a case #2). I paid him
500L ($1.50) per object, which he produced in 10 minutes or so. He
felt like I was the chump the chump here but felt like I was getting a
fantastic deal and have hired him to make about 1/2 the objects I
needed: specific things like a life preserver or the Sputnik satellite.

I am curious if anyone else on this list has worked in Second Life
with paid builders -- ones that they do not know in real life -- and
what are their experiences?

Other things, about No Matter (in response to Michael)...Excalibur
looks like Excalibur precisely because it is a sword embedded in a
rock. Schrodinger's Cat is not just the cat, but the vial of poison
that is next to it and the box that encloses the cat and the vial.
Some objects such as the Trojan Horse may have existed -- we will
never know for sure.

We decided not to make mythical creatures: the Pegasus, Yeti, etc.,
though the Cat or the Missing Link (Skull) could be considered an
exception. Architecture was off-limits, since they are not really
"objects," e.g. the Tower of Babylon, the Mile-High Skyscraper (as
you've pointed out) or the Fountain of Youth.

Some mythical objects have been hijacked into a specific form by
popular culture. Is it possible to image the Arc of the Covenant
*without* thinking of the one in the Raiders of the Lost Arc? While,
others are specific copies of props from real films, like the Maltese
Falcon or the Yellow Submarine. Here, the translation from forms in
Second Life into real life is what grants the paper sculptures
something alluring, by capturing the essence of these icons.

One of the ideas behind the No Matter project was to bring shared
forms from a virtual space that most people are unfamiliar with into a
real space. In the gallery, maybe 5% are familiar with Second Life,
but everyone knows what the Maltese Falcon looks like. Other objects
like the Time Machine are less obvious. If Second Life could be the
best example of a shared imaginary space, does it not hold that this
is the appropriate site to create shared imaginary objects?

Best,
Scott