[iDC] Labor in Second Life

Michael H Goldhaber michael at goldhaber.org
Thu Jul 9 04:33:05 UTC 2009

Scott,

This is certainly an entertaining report, but what of its wider
context? As  Marx's famous observation about the bee and the architect
suggests, virtually everything any human purposely makes was made
first in imagination. Most imagined objects probably do not get beyond
this stage, yet many of these are shared, such as the unbuilt
buildings in any well-known architect's portfolio — Frank Lloyd
Wright's mile-high skyscraper comes to mind — or a working
thermonuclear reactor. Nearly every object in  any work of fiction  is
also in this category: Madame Bovary's handkerchief, or Lady
Windermere's fan. Your first example, by the way, the Trojan Horse, as
far as I know could well have been really built by attackers of Troy.
In any case, working models of the horse were probably made for the
various movie versions, and no doubt others by children and adults for
purposes of free play or  purely amateur theatre. This would also be
the case for Excalibur, and many of the others. In other words, lots
of people have made replicas of this sort, in the real world, for
free, out of love of playacting, or for the attention, or both.

My main question, then, is why did your builders in Second Life insist
on being paid anything at all, even in Linden money? Is that a
constraint of SL itself, an artifact of your pitch, or a statement of
who takes part in SL? Did you ask for collaborators for  your project,
or even for volunteers? Did you try to explain your purposes in
compelling ways? I see you acknowledged the builders on your website,
and they wanted that.  Could it be they wanted the attention that
would bring?

A second question: Did it occur to you to advertise on Craigslist for
SL builders? Wouldn't that have simplified the work you had to do, or
is the difficulty part of the work?

Finally: I am unsure how "Excalibur" might be distinguished from any
fancy sword, or how Schrodinger's cat could be represented as
different from any old cat. (The important thing about this cat
depends, of course, on its being invisible to the observer, in the box
with the rest of the probabilistic contraption, so that it would have
to be thought of as in a superposition of being dead and being alive,
all of which Schrodinger meant ironically. )  Can you explain, or does
this not matter? If it doesn't, couldn't you simply have "plundered"
any "object' already found in SL? After all, as virtual objects they
were already part of SLers' shared imaginary objects, or weren't they?
If the virtual is different from the shared imaginary, what delimits
the virtual? Would detailed verbal description or a set of blueprints
not count as virtual as well? If so, what about a a more minimal
description or a simply drawn sketch? (After all, a time will surely
come when the now current state of SL will seem far cruder than the
then available Virtual Reality sites. If present-day SL would still
count then as VR, why not these others? )

Best,
Michael