[iDC] MySpace staff cuts

Michael Bauwens michelsub2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 16:43:34 UTC 2009

 Dear Michael,

Thank you very much about your two interventions, the spirit of which I share.

But I also would like to warn about a too overt stress towards the 'selfish' attitudes of 'competing for attention'. Just as important is the sharing part.

Rather than see humans, as the neoliberal camp, as univocally motivated by rational self-interest, we should be stress the multiple and mixed motivations,

Neither the sharing platforms nor the commons oriented peer production can be exclusively explained by rational self-interest or narcissism alone.

I would argue that the success of both as new social modalities is their capacity to see and design a social system where the individual and the collective interest re-inforce each other, rather than, as in liberalism, just hope that self-interest ultimately leads to optimal social results.

Somewhat similar is the following point, which shows how at a certain stage of human moral development, self and group are not seen as opposites:

See:

A distinction made by Heb Shepard, summarized by Rosa Zubizarreta:

from the perspective of "primary mentality", 'individual' and 'group' are experienced as opposite... in order to have a strong group, it appears that we need to 'give up'
some of our individuality; conversely, to be 'individuals', it appears
we need to 'distance' ourselves from the group...
in contrast, from the perspective of "secondary mentality" 'individual' and 'group' are experienced in a synergistic way:
the MORE room there is for people to be individual and unique and
eccentric, the stronger a group we will have; conversely, the more real
support i can feel from the group, the more individual and unique and
eccentric i can be...

More details via http://p2pfoundation.net/Primary_vs_Secondary_Individual-Group_Mentality

Full Citation
Rosa Zubizarreta:

"[what's crucial is] whether we are experiencing the 'two
sides' [of individual and collective] as a 'zero-sum game', where the
MORE room there is of one, the LESS room there can be for the other...
OR instead, as a potential synergy, a 'creative tension' where the well-being of each, enhances the well-being of the other....
Herb Shepard, one of the pioneers of organization development,
wrote years ago about the distinction between what he called "primary
mentality" and "secondary mentality"....
from the perspective of "primary mentality", 'individual' and
'group' are experienced as opposite... in order to have a strong group,
it appears that we need to 'give up' some of our individuality;
conversely, to be 'individuals', it appears we need to 'distance'
ourselves from the group...
in contrast, from the perspective of "secondary mentality"
'individual' and 'group' are experienced in a synergistic way: the MORE
room there is for people to be individual and unique and eccentric, the
stronger a group we will have; conversely, the more real support i can
feel from the group, the more individual and unique and eccentric i can
be...
i think that what Shepard was referring to as a 'mentality'
(whether primary or secondary) resides not just within each of us, as
individuals, but also, within a group, or culture, or social
arrangement...
not just in 'individual consciousness' OR in 'group structures', but in BOTH...
so we as individuals, we can always discover or create ways to
'resist' structures that are organized along the lines of 'primary
mentality', and, find ways to create forms of social interaction, that
support 'secondary mentality"....
AND, at the same time, the social forms of organization, _do_
affect us...
making one or another form of mentality, more likely... Our ways of
talking and thinking and organizing ourselves, tend to be rooted in one
or the other mentality.....
i think it's also important to recognize, that these forms or
structures, that embody and support these different kinds of
consciousness can be 'habitual' and 'informal', rather than
'explicit/formal'... so even when a community has rejected the
conventional forms of organization which could be seen as embodying
primary mentality (voting, majority rules, bureaucratic structures,
etc...)
it's still the case, that the community will tend to have a
particular 'culture', or 'way of doing things'... and that culture will
not necessarily be 'secondary' since as individuals, we still tend to
carry the "primary mentality" within us, even in the absence of
conventional forms of organization...
so the desire to 'belong', to 'get along', to 'not be excluded
from the group', along with the internalized belief, that to do so, we
need to 'not make waves', can tend to silence a lot of potential
divergence
and encourage conformity to the prevailing cultural norms... (the
'groupthink' phenomenon....