[iDC] Privacy and the Institutionalization of Labor

Michael Bauwens michelsub2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 1 12:12:45 UTC 2009

Dear Trebor,

Sorry for the delay to due travel. I'm no longer sure what the commentary refers to, but in general, I'd like to acknowledge your points.

The issue is that I do not believe that at this conjuncture, sharing communities can sustain their own platforms, just as workers had to work in factories.

That leaves the factory, in this case, the social media, as a terrain of struggle.

My point of view is that goal oriented ethical communities, especially those that favour peer production or emancipatory goals, utilize these tools for their own benefit, and fight for the optimal conditions for doing so, just as they may have done with mass media and print, which surely the labour movement would not have left alone, and did not leave alone.

So the second important aspect is that these are also 'audiences', not just for them, but for 'us'. This is my problem with some FLOSS alternatives. If you are creating and defending and spreading ideas, do you prefer to communicate with a small community of righteous similars, or rather engage with the broad mass. I always prefer the latter.

Finally, when all is said and done, and the evil netarchical capitalists decried and explained, we are left with an important social fact: we can now, and we could not before, express ourselves and share ourselves in multimedial form.

Sorry, but I cannot believe this is a negative social fact, despite the constraints it comes with.

I say we have to work on and defend the autonomous practices of individuals and collectives, to the degree we can, with the world we have been given.

Michel