[iDC] A Reflection on the Activist Strategies in the Web 2.0 Era

Curt Cloninger curt at lab404.com
Sat Jan 24 18:04:49 UTC 2009

Thanks Lucia,

I'm admittedly hijacking and redefining what de Certeau strictly
means by "strategy." I think artists can and do practice a form of
"weak" strategic production. I think about Shepard Fairey evolving
from this work (
http://blogrivet.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/andre_the_giant.jpg )
to this work (
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2247/2231258092_43d8e672b5.jpg ,
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3319/3210412136_b4918e6bea.jpg?v=0  )
). Not that Fairey is a very good example of someone purposefully
controlling his own influence, but his influence has shifted from
tactical to strategic.

I'm not proposing a leftist utopian revolution, but I am goading for
something beyond "making due" with perpetual "resistance." I'm
wanting to talk about something in the middle of these two extremes
(or something that rapidly moves back and forth between them). I
agree with Ryan's post regarding "the matter of concern that such
tactics are supposed to address." To simply be tactically resistant
doesn't de facto constitute efficacy (or radicality, or interesting
art).

Yes, failure. Right on. And not just a mimetic re-presentation of
failure, or a syntactic definition of failure, but the real-time
performance of failure. And I woul add (among thousands of
potentially efficacious artistic moves) -- mind control, massive
pseudonymous meme distribution, hypertrophy, institutional critique
as abstract expressionist brushstroke, perpetual self-undermining as
talisman, curation as personal introspection,
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513SZR65EQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg ,
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/museumjt_2035_11671824 ,
http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/MM3Fly-01.jpg  .

Best,