[iDC] Strategic usage of folksonomies: a case study

Eugenio Tisselli cubo23 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 9 21:19:27 UTC 2009

Hi Simon,

Thank you for sharing your essay "Transculturation, transliteracy and generative poetics", it's truly inspiring. I am not very well-versed in discourses such as transculturation or pluriliteracy; however my research on folksonomies and the emergence of shared lexicons could be related to some ideas in your text. You wrote:

"Meaning, and the value that derives from it, has been encoded in diverse forms and media for millennia."

I like your use of the term "encoding", since I believe that meaning is not hard-coded into these forms and media, but it's actually being re-coded continuously through social interaction. Indeed, objects are carriers of meaning, but it may be quite different for people who nevertheless share them.

In language, the separation of form and meaning is represented by the relatively recent Construction Grammar, a linguistic theory in which a grammatical construction is always a pairing of form and content (http://www.constructiongrammar.org). More recently, Fluid Construction Grammar has acknowledged the emergent and constantly-changing nature of these pairings (http://emergent-languages.org/). These theoretical frameworks are quite useful when studying folksonomies and emergent semantics on the World Wide Web...

Surely, a folksonomy is a linguistic model that reflects the degree to which the users who generated it (through their individual naming actions) share a common lexicon. But the meaning(s) of each tag will probably vary greatly for each individual. I'm not sure how this could relate to the concepts of pluriliteracy and transliteracy, but certainly we face a dynamic situation in which the users of a folksonomy must necessarily acknowledge and manage the multiple, co-generated meanings of the same tag. This is the case of search engines, especially tag-based ones: users must interpret and go through results that may be wildly diverse, yet all of them "accurate". Moreover, these results will change over time, depending greatly on the users' online naming acts.

Best,
Eugenio.