[iDC] A Modest Proposal: Let's get rid of the teachers

Geoffrey Alan Rhodes garhodes at garhodes.com
Sat Feb 21 17:37:21 UTC 2009

Your point, and also David and Simon before, is good: education as a
controlled encounter with the Other.  This is what I mean about issues of
desire.  I think the 30 hour work week some students maintain (I've taught
in a State school too, where this was the norm), the pressure of loans, and
the constant Taylorist push of US society to be efficient and ambitious, all
set up this neurosis of the contemporary student.  I just joined the faculty
of a private arts university that has its roots (and retains much of its
faculty) from the Woodstock generation.  Many of them complain of student's
desire for relationships with the teacher and institution that can be
controlled... rubrics, pragmatic curriculum, job placement...  What I notice
is that these same students, of course, also desire in-class stimulation,
inspiration, that which comes from the lack of control of the Other.  The
neurotic contradictions of the institution manifest in their own feelings.
 This isn't new, I think... school systems have always combined
socialization with deviance, sometimes hysterically (and doesn't this
describe youth itself?), but maybe this has ramped up with the practical
pressures of $.  It is hard at the state university to see academia as a
reward, or place for reflection... instead it commonly seems a struggle for
the students just to be there.