[iDC] "Wikipedia Art"

Geoffrey Alan Rhodes garhodes at garhodes.com
Wed Feb 18 05:50:37 UTC 2009

(I am not doing my grading, either)

David's comments about the Encyclopedia reminded me of a profound
exchange at the end of Lev Manovich's talk at ISEA in Singapore this
past year.  It was one of those questions that just dropped into the
stuffy air of a tired cramped audience and brought nothing out, but
later I kept returning to it.  Lev had just gone through his
presentation on the new wave of media study— "media analytics" where a
very real critical problem of media study, the fact that it is hard to
justify any limited sample of cultural product as being definitive in
the eve of the broadcast age, is approached through a science of
pattern recognition, number crunching, and visualization of data (bear
with me, I am getting to the Encyclopedia).  This brings up some
fundamental critical questions of the relationship between
representation, translation, and knowledge... questions that I think
are new to this computational age.

But one questioner put his finger on it.  He asked, Isn't the concept
of graphical representation extinct... born in an age when the
totality of data could not be accessed or sorted?  Which is really the
question that Google asked the librarian.  It made me also think of
Borges' maps, and of the medieval project of the Museo and the
Encyclopedia... not just the impossibility of perfect representation,
but the inutility of it.  The medieval project has been re-approached
in the past decade.  We see the story covered lightly everywhere:
Netflix's efficient rejection of cataloging practices, Ebay's
rejection of stock-in-trade models, and Wikipedia's rejection of
traditional editing, authorship, and publication editions.

It reminds me of a utopian (typical Aquarius) vision I had in the
early 90's... of a government office that would re-approach the
project of the medieval encyclopedia for the digital age.  Each 18
year old, instead of doing military service, would serve in the
government Encyclopedia for a year... maybe working on Kel... to
Kha...  In time an encyclopedia of everything would be created...
something that you could refer to in order to find out what watch
battery your particular model of Timex takes, to the known history of
Sumaria, to the current weather patterns in France.  When Wikipedia
gained popularity, I realized the project was much simpler, and that
I, too, had not fully captured the new net paradigm.  I think that
Wikipedia is experiencing growing pains largely due to its role in a
capitalist economy and political society (like Ebay), but in its
spirit remains medieval... a desire for a book of everything.