[iDC] IPF09 Conference thoughts

Kevin Hamilton kham at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 11 17:45:50 UTC 2009

John, of course there is a fight here, the stakes are exactly as high
as you say. It's also the case that many of us need to be prodded and
challenged.

But it is also the case that the situation requires careful
stewardship. Short-term and improvised changes are one thing, but long-
term plans for revision and transformation require time, and that time
will have to come from somewhere. Those of us with more job stability
should probably accept more of the sacrifice in this area, and not
expect the same amount from those just starting out or stretched
through precarity between multiple sites of income. And across these
locations, we will have to make decisions about what short-term damage
to accept in the interest of long-term change. Every minute I place
into working with others to design, strategize and implement counter-
pedagogical efforts is a minute away from helping current students
hobble through the broken rubble.

I appreciate your urge to mobilize, and the urgency should not be
understated. But we must acknowledge the diversity of positions, the
ways in which our colleagues in the collaborative effort are
differently susceptible to risk.

Admittedly, it would be ideal to not be working so carefully around a
broken system of work and alienation - one shouldn't have to depend on
a job for healthcare, for example. But in many places that is the fact
of it.

You and I may be in agreement on this, or we might just be re-enacting
a familiar activist debate. Just wanted to clarify myself in response
to your needed energetic call.

Kevin