[iDC] Mining the Military-Academic-Industrial Complex in a Poetic-Serious Fashion

Anna Munster A.Munster at unsw.edu.au
Mon Apr 20 00:58:35 UTC 2009

Nick,
I have had a brief look at the MAICaggregator and really like what you
are trying to do here (as well as your statement, which is also an
interesting analysis and summary of a shift from net art to networked
aesthetics - or something like that!).
I wanted to ask you a couple of things:
1) Have you used the extension on universities outside the US and if
so which regions? Additionally what kind of data has this aggregated?
I guess I ask because military funding into the academy is a  US
tradition - although of course operates in other regions - bit not in
the same ways. I'd be interested to know if the way the aggregator in
fact operates is specific to a US-university system or not and indeed
what it might or might not reveal about other kinds of alliances else
where. Would it show up more or less state-based funding in different
geopolitical regions, more or less corporate funding etc...

2) This leads me to my second question(s) – to what extent are the
sources that you use to aggregate data themselves a part of the
complex which you are trying to make perceptible? By which I mean,
that the 'hard' data possessed by the military on its projects and
research never really enters the public arena of the 'web' and
therefore isn't open to such forms of aggregation. We all know that
information/data sits on military servers that never see the light of
day. Here we encounter the ongoing problem/question of dark nets vs
the semantic web. And while I think that the Firefox extension mode of
networked art practice is really interesting, it does encounter the
problem of dealing only with semantic web sources. I am wondering what
you response you might have to some of these issues?

Best Anna

On 19/04/2009, at 7:19 AM, nick knouf wrote:

> Dear iDC,
>
> As we now hear by some commentators that the "worst" of the so-called
> financial "crisis" "might" be over, we have to acknowledge the
> difficulty of squaring these remarks with the realities of our
> colleagues in the university.  Friends are not having their teaching
> contracts renewed and graduate students in the humanities are having
> difficulty in finding TA positions for the fall semester.  I recently
> overheard one administrator in a more "technical" department
> suggesting
> that the lack of available TAships in the humanities is due to their
> inability to support students on "research" grants.  He found no
> problems with the fact that his own department was able to admit five
> new graduate students this year, while a similar-sized humanities
> department can barely afford to admit one student.  Survival of the
> "fittest", indeed.
>
> In these times, then, perhaps we ought to be focusing our critical
> lenses on the institution of the University itself, to better
> understand
> its role in the relations of capital.  Thankfully, many are doing
> this,
> and the recent and current protest actions at schools in the US and
> around the world are evidence of one, very much needed, type of
> response.  My own response has been to develop MAICgregator
> (http://maicgregator.org), a Firefox extension that aggregates
> information about colleges and universities embedded in the
> military-academic-industrial (MAIC) complex. It searches government
> funding databases, private news sources, private press releases, and
> public information about trustees to try and produce a radical
> cartography of the modern university via the replacement or overlay of
> this information on academic websites.  MAICgregator is available for
> download right now:
> http://maicgregator.org/download .  If you want to see what
> MAICgregator
> does to a website without downloading it, you can look at some
> screenshots: http://maicgregator.org/docs/screenshots .  This is its
> first public release, so expect that things might not work properly.
>
> I have written an extensive statement about MAICgregator that tries to
> contextualize it within discourses of net.art, the
> military-academic-industrial complex, "data mining", and activist
> artistic practices.  I include this statement at the end of the e-
> mail,
> but it is also available on the MAICgregator website:
>
> http://maicgregator.org/statement
>
> I welcome any feedback or discussion that this might provoke; if you
> want to e-mail the project authors directly, please e-mail info --at--
> maicgregator ---dot--- org.
>
> nick knouf
>

> MAICgregator: http://maicgregator.org
>
> Mining the Military-AcademicIndustrial Complex in a Poetic-Serious
> Fashion

> [...]

A/Prof. Anna Munster
Assistant Dean, Grant Support
Acting Director Centre for Contemporary Art and Politics
School of Art History and Art Education
College of Fine Arts
UNSW
P.O. Box 259