[iDC] The Politics of Perception

davin heckman davinheckman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 13:18:09 UTC 2008

I think when we talk about things like positive and negative reactions
to "things," we are not talking about the result of cultural
construction, we are talking about the process itself.  Fear and its
absence are one of the mechanisms by which knowledge is constructed
and our relationship to the "thing," whatever it might be, is invested
with subjective meaning.  And then the subjective qualities of fear or
comfort are means by which this meaning can be communicated to others.