[iDC] The Politics of Perception

Lucia Sommer sommerlucia at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 20:51:08 UTC 2008

On Sun, 9/21/08, Zbigniew Lukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com> wrote:

> You are assuming that your apparent lack of fear is the more 'normal'
> state, and that there needs to be something special to move people
> from that base state into the 'fearful' state.
Wow, who said I don't have fear? I also said nothing about what emotions are "normal" or not. My only point is that one of the effects of the discourse surrounding this study is normalization of the status quo, because the doctors assume that emotion can ONLY be produced by "deeply ingrained" factors like "childhood,"  "reflexes," or "genetics."  I have no doubt it can -- but why not ALSO things like media discourse, politics, and current experience, just to name a few?

Because if the doctors are right, and emotion is only produced by such deeply intransigent factors, AND there is some kind of one-to-one or tight correlation with political views, then anyone who hopes to change anything really might as well throw in the towel. I choose to believe otherwise.

Best,

Lucia