[iDC] Embodying the Image-Maker: Understanding Images as an Active Participant

Stephanie Diamond mail at stephaniediamond.com
Sat Sep 6 20:07:26 UTC 2008

My name is Stephanie Diamond, I have had the pleasure of reading the
IDC exchanges for a while now, and this is my first post.

I am an artist who works with photography.  As an obsessive image-
maker I began photographing as an artist at the age of 13, and since
then, I have documented my -- and everyone who comes in contact with
me -- life.  My passion to present and discuss photography across
many vistas, as well as my critical insight, comes from my desire to
connect communities and people.

I am also a Fine Arts Adjunct Professor at Parsons New School for
Design and PACE University, both in New York City.  I have recently
created a class with a criminal justice professor at PACE that is
part of a program called Learning Communities, where two professors
from two different fields come together to teach a Freshman level
course.  The class is split between two days, and addresses the same
students each day.  My class is titled: Embodying the Image-Maker:
Understanding Images as an Active Participant  and my colleague's
class is titled: Image-Making in the Age of Terror: Exploring First
and Fourth Amendment Rights.

The classes are based on the use of personal, commercial and
governmental images—photographs, digital images, cell phone pictures,
videos--from a legalistic perspective, and the immense disparity
between the positive and negative impact of images in our culture
today. (See course descriptions below)

We are both teaching a unit on myspace, Facebook, and blogging.
Additionally, I have a unit on artists who use the ideas being
addressed in our class, within their artwork.  I would love to have
your recommendations of websites, artists, articles, and related
material that I can bring to my students.  I have an on-going list
that I have been compiling for a while now, but this list serve has
been invaluable over the years and I would love to have your input as
well.

Thanks,
Stephanie

____________________
Stephanie Diamond
mail at stephaniediamond.com
http://www.stephaniediamond.com

Course Descriptions:
"Embodying the Image-Maker: Understanding Images as an Active
Participant "
In this class, you are a photographer.   You will create images
focusing on the immense disparity between the positive and negative
impact of images in our culture today.  You will take photographs in
order to understand and apply the process of photography as a vehicle
for personal, commercial and governmental expression. You will
examine the relationship between the self and identity, the
individual and community engagement, global culture and redefining
identities, and the evolving practice of the role of the image maker
in today’s society.

"Image-Making in the Age of Terror: Exploring First and Fourth
Amendment Rights"
This class will explore the use of personal, commercial and
governmental images—photographs, digital images, cell phone pictures,
videos--from a legalistic perspective.  We will examine both the ways
in which images can be used to expose human rights violations (i.e.
the photos of Abu Ghraib atrocities and war photography) and
governmental surveillance of civilian populations.  We will debate
the justification and effectiveness of the government’s increased use
of surveillance as a tactic in the war on terror and crime fighting.
At the same time, we will explore how political activists and members
of the indie media are increasingly turning their cameras and cell
phones on the police at political rallies to protect against and/or
document abuses of power.  We will contrast the legal limitations
placed on individual image makers (eg. ordinances requiring special
permits for street photographers or people suspected of terrorism for
taking pictures of landmarks) with the proliferation of surveillance
cameras in both private and public spaces.  Given the widespread use
of and increased public tolerance for governmental surveillance, we
will also explore the true meaning of privacy in the U.S. and its
implications.  Finally, we will also explore the ways in which
personal forms of image-making—especially through the use of the
Internet—represents a democratization of the media and offers the
possibility of “speaking truth” to governmental and corporate power.