[iDC] Antarctica: An Artist Dialog

Paul Miller anansi5000 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 18:03:04 UTC 2008

Hello people - this is an interview for an interesting conference
coming up at Columbia University/Barnard College called "Gender on
Ice" coming up in November. My film "Terra Nova: Sinfonia Antarctica"
and Isaac Julian's film "True North" will be featured.

An Interview with Paul D. Miller on his Antarctica film “Terra Nova”
by ELENA GLASBERG. Adjunct Associate Professor, Princeton University

Terra Nova – Sinfonia Antarctica trailer:
http://www.djspooky.com/art/terra_nova.php

Elena Glasberg

Question: When did Antarctica emerge into your world?  Do you recall
images?  Was it fiction? Or, learning of historic exploration figures?

Paul D. Miller

Response:

I guess some of my most formative film experiences come from early
cinema pieces like the two films – Melies’s 1902 “The Conquest of the
North” and the “false” history of  Frederick A. Cook’s 1912 “The Truth
About the Pole” – I used to watch old films whenever I could, so I’d
catch this kind of strange dualism. Like the Lumiere brothers, Cook’s
film tried to portray itself as a realistic almost documentary kind of
scenario. I usually prefer the other school of though – Melies started
out as a magaician who wanted to apply magic technique to film. The
two films are about the opposite side of the planet from Antarctica,
but they’re both amazingly, eerily prescient about how discovery and
the “voyager’s path” would then take on almost surreal proportions.
That’s a similar motif for my “Terra Nova” and “Manifesto for a
People’s Republic of Antarctica” projects. They both use found
footage, print-design, and propaganda to show how exploration at the
edge of the world is a prism to view how nations look at one another,
and how art itself is a highly politicized medium. I guess you could
say I’m inspired as much by Jules Verne as I am by the exploration of
the film “90 Degrees South” by cinematographer Herbert G. Ponting, who
was one of the first people to get footage from Antarctica.

Elena Glasberg

Question: Your work engages in and emerges through tropes and modes of
globalism, the internet specifically.  Yet you also dj for live
audiences.  How does Antarctica figure within your view of a global
audience?

Paul D. Miller

Response:

For me, music isn't music - it's information. So much of my work comes
from the hard learned truth that collage speaks across many borders,
cultures, and yes, economic classes: if you want to deal with hip hop
and then give a lecture at places like Yale or Harvard, you really
have to be prepared to speak in academic pidgin as much as be able to
flow in the club scene etc. I never really thought of myself as
“separate” from the normal art and academic works that I create. My
books, art shows, and exhibitions are driven by the obsession I have
with saying that multi-culturalism, market forces, and the basic
fabric of “The Enlightenment” are interconnected. One of my favorite
recent books “Capital and Language” by Christian Marazzi -  you can
look at people like him and his concept of new forms of “hoarding” as
a way to engage some kind of logic of culturally produced “value.” I
always am astounded at how little the artworld understands the kind of
cultural economy that dj culture emerges from. Nothing, after Wagner’s
concept of “gesamkunstwerk” exists in a vacuum: whether our culture is
now taken from youtube.com videos or material posted online from cell
phones by soldier’s in Iraq, we exist in a world where “documents” act
as a kind of testimony. But once something is recorded, it’s basically
a file waiting to be manipulated. That’s what links the concept of the
remix to everything going on these days – truth itself is a remix.
Anyway, it’s all about a new kind of relativism.

Elena Glasberg

Question: What do you think of Vaughan-Williams’ Sinfonia Antartica,
as music and as an historical artifact of an Antarctic vision?

Paul D. Miller

Response:

Vaughn Williams, it’s well documented, was pre-occupied with the
concept with the “end of empire” and the end of World War II. I really
think that’s when the concept of the British Empire and Commonwealth
needed to be re-examined, and if you look at the Indian liberation
project of Ghandi and Indian independence in 1947, that kind of stuff
must have really been foremost on the mind of the generation of
composers that needed to give the British something to think about
after the war as a way of looking forward to reconstruction. What had
the war been about except imperial ambition! By making Robert Scott,
someone who had died in service to the Empire, the film “Scott of the
Antarctic” really set the tone for how the twilight of the British
Empire needed to look for new heroes. Let’s not forget that the first
composition to really engage Antarctica started as a soundtrack for
Vaughn'’s score to the film. I enjoy playing with the concept of music
as a mirror we hold up to society – the Vaughn soundtrack, like the
original music composed by Joseph Carl Breil for D.W. Griffith’s film
“Birth of a Nation” - was a pastiche of themes and motifs that would
speak to a film audience. I wanted to update the same concept with
turntables and digital media. I really don’t think of music, film, and
art as separate. There is a seamless connection – it’s the creative
mind at work.

Elena Glasberg

Question: I’m interested that you actually went to a part of the
Antarctic – I’m assuming the peninsula, by boat from South America.
How did your conception of Antarctica as a place interact with your
embodied presence?  What was the most surprising aspect of being in
Antarctica?

  Paul D. Miller

Response:

I went to several islands, and ice fields that were near the Antarctic
peninsula but a little further down on the continent. I’ll be going
back in a while to check out more of the interior. We chartered a
Russian ice breaker called “The Academic Ioffe” and the next time I
go, I’m going to try and get to the Lake Vostok base. The most
surprising thing about Antarctica was the stench of penguin shit. You
can smell them a mile or so out in the water!!! I’m always
“embodied” (I always tend to mix that up with “embedded” these days
anyway), so there’s no conflicted sense of spatial issues that seems
to haunt a lot of the discourse about what physical performance is all
about in a digital context. I live and remember it all. The idea of
the “journey” if you look at Melies film “The Conquest of the North”
from 1912, is still with us. It’s now just “hyper-realism.”

Elena Glasberg

Question: Do you think people belong in Antarctica?

Paul D. Miller

Response: No

Elena Glasberg

Question: Why do people need to hear Antarctica?  How does this mode
distinguish itself from seeing Antarctica, which has been the
overwhelming mode since the turn of the last century and the accident
of near simultaneous advent of film photography and embodied access to
the inner continent?  How do you see your mixed modes of approach –
embodiment and digitized representation - in the context of the
history of representing the (arguably) most mediated place on earth?

Paul D. Miller

Response:

Everything is I do is about paradox. It makes life fun. I think that
people need to “HEAR” Antarctica because it is at the edge of the
world. The idea of “mixed modes of approach” is a good term  (of
course, the dominant theme in dj culture is “the mix” so there’s some
salient linkage there…). The technical terms “heterodoxy” or
“heterogeneity” both find a solid home in me and my work. I celebrate
that kind of thing. One day, the software we use and the life we live
will blur. It'’s kind of already happened. But that’s why I go to
places like Antarctica. NY is probably one of the most mediated places
on earth. If I have a conversation at a café, someone will put it on a
blog. If I walk down the street, someone puts photos of it on flickr.
It’s irritating, but hey… it’s the way we live now. Antarctica
represents a place mediated by science – it’s literally almost another
world. Some of my favorite science fiction writers like Kim Stanley
Robinson’s “Antarctica” or Crawford Kilian’s “IceQuake” who deal with
Antarctica come up with some of the same themes: science, art and the
weirdly un-worldliness of the ice terrain. I think of that kind of
stuff as an update of the speculative visions of Verne that inspired
Melies with his earlier films. My film “Terra Nova” and my gallery
show “Manifesto for a People’s Republic of Antarctica” are in the same
tradition. Music from the edge of the physical environment and music
from the core of the urban landscape. Watch them collide in paradox.

Elena Glasberg

Question: You work among a wide variety of audiences, purposefully and
joyously erupting into places not usually associated (variously) with
dj culture, beats, aural sophistication, and academic-style
intellectualization.  Where do you place Antarctica within your work
and audience.

Paul D. Miller

Response:

I have a degree of comfort with new places that makes life in this
hyper turblulent and digitally abstract contemporary life. Life is
hybrid and always has been. It’s just that digital media is making us
realize that it’s not about the “end of Western culture” because of
multi-culturalism etc It’s actually giving Western culture a place in
whatever else has been going on. Which is healthy… I just roll with it
all. Edward Said’s critique of Western classical music as a kind of
involuted “samizdat” (as above, so below…), rings true for my work. I
really think that the distinctions that defined most of the 20th
century are almost gone. Technology has moved far more quickly to
transform our social structures than anyone could have anticipated. Dj
culture accepts this and celebrates this kind of phenomenon precisely
because it’s not linked to the production of objects – it’s obsessed
with continuous transformation, and that’s where I live. In total flux.

Elena Glasberg

Question: You are intrigued by Antarctica’s geopolitical exception –
its lack of indigenous and its never-nationalized status now under the
1959 Antarctic Treaty System.  I see this reflected in your playful
echo of the title of a 1981 novel by John Calvin Bachelor, The
People’s Republic of Antarctica, in your marvelous poster series.  How
do you see Antarctica -- as an exception to global politics? A
demonstration of alternative possibilities to history? An opportunity
for fantasy?  What vision of propaganda and history inspired the
poster series?

Paul D. Miller

Response:

If you look at the 20th century advertising, as Sigmund Freud’s nephew
Edward Bernays, who coined the term “public relations,”  was the
hidden architecture holding both capitalism and communism together.
Everyone had to get their message  out! Whether it was Stalin who said
that “engineers are poets of the soul” or Chairman Mao, who put
teachers in chains and paraded them as false prophets, the kind of
“stay on message” type ethos dominated the media discourse of every
nation. With my “Manifesto for a People’s Republic of Antarctica”
print design projects and my film projects – I simply ask the
question: what if the nation state went away? What centrifuge would we
all then call home? What would be the point of looking at the state as
a kind of generative architecture? Would who be commissioning the
designs, who would be fostering the arts? The answer: corporations. I
use the ironic motif of stuff like the British East India company or
some of the ways that we have corporate sponsorship of exploration/
high endurance sports etc as examples. If you look at Rodchenko’s
designs or Malevich’s early minimalism, you can see an echo of that in
my work – the revolution for the U.S. after the fall of the Berlin
Wall was untrammeled capitalism. Look around and see what it’s done
for us! The only competing ideology at this point is radical Islam.
I’m not so sure that people would like to embrace Sharia economics,
but if they look at the Middle East, there’s lots of solid banking
going on (unlike Wall street this week). I guess you could say that my
work is kind of an aesthetic futures market where any sound can be
you. That’s what sampling is about. The Terra Nova and Manifesto for a
People’s Republic of Antarctica projects are mirrors held up to a
world that is melting. I don’t know about you, but I think it’s a
pretty strange mirror to see oneself in. I read John Calvin Bathelor’s
book and enjoyed it, but aside from “sampling” the title (I do this a
lot!), there’s not much of a connection – except that his book is a
meditation on the end of norms of governance.

Elena Glasberg

Question:

How are you creating the sounds of Antarctica?  What is the technical
process and how does it reflect Antarctic representation, its
challenges, and its history?

Paul D. Miller

Response: My gallery installation at Robert Miller Gallery and Irvine
Fine Arts is loosely based on the “false” story of Frederick A. Cook –
who went North. “The Truth about the Pole” (1912) was a self-
promotional docudrama in which producer Frederick A. Cook sought to
have himself treated as a heroic adventurer who discovered the North
Pole, a claim he'd been making since 1909. No director wanted credit
for making it. Cook plays the starring role as himself. There is at
least one appealing set that attempts to be naturalistic, showing a
frozen ship in the distant background. Mostly it all looks pretty
hooky. It's interesting how little one needs for a quick jaunt to the
Pole, a log-book, sled, & American flag being the whole of it. All one
requires to recover from such an easy stroll is a nice wooden hut &
one sip of coffee from a tin cup. A silent film villain, Harry
Whitney, is the evil scoundrel who started the rumor that Cook's
former claim to have climbed Mt McKinley was a fabrication. This was
(according to the revisions proposed by his film) Whitney's newest
salvo in a campaign to make Cook's polar expedition appear to have
been a hoax. I think it’s hilarious – I repurpose this kind of thing,
and flip it into Southern perspective. Who owns the ice? Who owns the
memory of the ice? My composition for the installation at the
galleries is based on gamelan music from the idea of “shadow theater”
mixed with string arrangements taken from my score to Terra Nova.
Debussy after all, was inspired by gamelan, and I guess you could say
ambient electronic music is about as “impressionist” composition as
you can get. I like the idea of ambiguity. It keeps you on your feet,
makes you think about paradox and the digital world of relativity we
live in today. When I went to Antarctica I wanted to have a place
where there was essentially a fresh perspective and where I really
needed to think about how I would interact with the environment in a
way that would free up some of the issues that drive normal hip hop.
The sounds in my projects come from nature – wind, water, the noise of
feet walking on ice… my project takes those sounds and uses them as an
acoustic palette. I mixed and remixed the material to the point that
bass lines come from wind and water movement, and the sound of human
breath can be a motif made into some kind of strange pattern. The
score for “Terra Nova” was written in a much more conventional way,
but that’s why I like to say I’m into paradox. You could almost say
that the score for Terra Nova is neo-Baroque, just on the edge of when
everyone thought that the Age of Reason had dealt a death blow to
superstition in Europe. Try telling that to Sarah Palin! I guess you
could say that my project is about the “sound of science.”

  Elena Glasberg

Question: I’m struck by the influence of Gore’s documentary An
Inconvenient Truth on subsequent representation of the Antarctic.  I’m
thinking in particular of all the computer graphic simulations of
melting ice sheets in a pristine and remote Antarctic and the
resultant rises in sea levels of very well known urban locations.  Do
you see your work in such a context of politicized – or catastrophic -
simulation?

Paul D. Miller

Response:

I’m a big Paul Virilio fan…. Let’s call Terra Nova in terms of theory
speak (it’s just a different pidgin language after all): trajectories
of the catastrophic, or pure war. Antarctica isn’t a place: it’s a
location. It’s kind of like saying Buddhism isn’t a religion: it’s a
philosophy. Everyone knows that, but they still get it wrong. I always
try to get people to think about conceptual frames of reference:
context is important in my work, and so is content. How do you
establish an uneasy tension between context and content when
everything can be remixed and changed, and there’s no final “version”
of anything? In my film “Terra Nova” that kind of graphic design
imprint is crucial to how the story is told. If you look at the old
Terra Nova expedition of Robert Scott, you can only think: wouldn’t it
have been great if they had satellite footage to tell them they
weren’t that deep into the ice, and to compare some different routes
to get out of the drift their ship was caught in. Stuff like Apsley
Cherry Garrad’s infamous “The Worst Journey in The World” where he
says “Polar exploration is at once the cleanest and most isolated way
of having a bad time that has ever been devised,” is one of the most
succinct ways one could put this simple observation. Melting ice
sheets look cool, but then again, so do solar flares on the surface of
the sun. They’re both harmful… but hey.. art makes things look cool.

Elena Glasberg

Question: Your film will be debuting at the democratic convention in
August.  How exciting.  Obama will presumably see it.  What would you
like him to see, to respond to, and to promote in his election
platform (and possible administration)?

Paul D. Miller

Response:

I really think it’s time to say goodbye to the 20th century. So yes,
the Obama convention with Dialog City as the focal point for the
contemporary art scene was a breath of fresh air for me. I really
liked premiering my film at the Denver Opera House. The Colorado art
scene is a lot more progressive than NY! I think Obama will probably
be one of the greenest presidents since Jimmy Carter put solar panels
on the White House. The Republicans went crazy, but in hindsight, it
was really really really cool. I like stuff like that – that’s why I
premiered Terra Nova at the Democrats convention.I think of Terra Nova
as a reflection site – a location for the politics of perception that
we use to look at the environment.

Elena Glasberg

Question: Antarctica and in particular the South Pole have been
fantasy objects for US and European imperialism since the early
1900s.  Authors populated the unknown south with wishful fantasies of
lost races, arable lands, and mineral wealth.  Postcolonial nations
such as Argentina, Chile, and even Malaysia have fought and argued to
be included among the arbiters of Antarctica’s possible riches.  How
do you negotiate nationalism and the history of imperialism in your
own approach to the territory?

Paul D. Miller

Response:

You really have to think about Antarctica as a “possible terrain” –
it’s a surface we project on, but it doesn’t reflect us back. I always
think of the phrase Bruce Sterling says: the suicide bomber is the
poor mans cruise missile. There’s always going to be conflict over
resources as long as people think everything is completely limited.
The weird thing about the 21st century is that we have perspective.
That’s something the warring empires of the past didn’t. We have
history, comparative science, and above all, a sense of urgency with
regard to global warming. And guess what – we still can’t get it
together. Some of the best recent films dealing with Antarctica:
Werner Herzog’s “Encounters at The End of The World” or the anti-
whaling film “At the Edge of the World” both have this kind of “rebel/
misfit scientist” take on the expatriate community that lives in
Antarctica. The cracks in the mirror are where some of the best images
are to be found. Antarctica, for me, is just a really big crack in the
way we look at the land claims of the “great nations” – I really think
that my film project is a cinema-scape in the same tradition of Nam
Jun Paik, John Cage’s “Imaginary Landscape” or Edgar Varese and
Scriabin’s visual essays turned into sound. Imperialism is such a
concrete process: take the land, brainwash the natives, make the
people back home think it’s all being done in their name… The problem
with the 21st century for that kind of schemata is that no one really
believes it any more. It’s just one fiction of many. I tend to think
that that’s a good thing. It’s time for a fresh kaleidoscope! We need
more paradox than we can possibly know right now. And Antarctica is
the place to manifest that kind of paradox. After all, it’s the end of
the world. I want us to look over the edge…

Elena Glasberg

Question:

The majority of people on earth will never come near Antarctica.  How
do you want them to think of their relation to this remote and highly
mediated territory?  Do you feel that you’re operating with a (excuse
the phrase) blank screen, or do preconceptions of the region cloud
collective action?

Paul D. Miller

Response:

How do people hear Antarctica?  It’s a question that lingers over this
interview. Unmoored, unleashed, free floating - sampling derives it's
sense of free cut and paste aesthetics from the interplay of the kind
of "rip, mix, and burn" scenario of the 21st century's information
economy. But there are so many cultural resonances that kick in when
we think about "appropriation art."  I love to throw in allusions and
word play – it mirrors what I do with sound, so excuse the aside: In
1964 Ralph Ellison, one of my favorite writers, read a statement at
the Library Of Congress about the possibility of an artform made of
fragments. The lecture was called "Hidden Name and Complex Fate" and
basically it was a manifesto about a series of poems and music that
was made into a "mix" of music that influenced him. It was kind of a
"sonic memorial" made of fragments from artists and composers as
diverse as Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Bessie Smith, Mahalia
Jackson - but the selection was meant to be a literary scenario that
evoked music as a kind of text.

Of the jazz legends he invoked in his discussion, he simply wrote that
"the end of all this discipline and technical mastery was the desire
to express an affirmative way of life through its musical tradition...
Life could be harsh, loud and wrong if it wished, but they lived it
fully, and when they expressed their attitude toward the world it was
with a fluid style that reduced the chaos of living to form." As an
artist, writer, and musician, this kind of hybridity is something that
drives my work. I'm inspired by the destruction of old, boring, ways
of thinking and feeling, by the casting into the flames of obsolence
all the stupid old categories that people use to hold the world back
from the interplay of uncontrolled "mixing." Yeah, I say - we need to
mix and remix everything. There is no final version of anything once
it's digital. Is this a mirror we can hold up to society in the era of
information overload? Dj mixes, freeware, open source media... yeah -
they say it is possible. Antarctica is a realm of possibility because
put simply, very few people are aware of its story. That in itself is
a rare and elusive quality that the beginning of the 21st century has
brought front and center into modern perspective: there’s strength in
invisibility. You have to think of the landscape and the way artists
interact with it. John Cage’s “Imaginary Landscape” from 1939 was
composed of records playing frequencies. But if you fast forward to
his composition “In a Landscape” from 1948, you can easily see early
taste for percussion instruments and "found sounds," as well as his
interest in embedded, recursive rhythmic structures, while the last
two of the series, composed in 1951 and 1952, exhibit the influences
of Cage's experiments with various kinds of pre-compositional chance
operations. I think that is what resonates with Antarctica for me: the
space to be sonically free. After all: it’s the only place on Earth
with no government. What’s the soundtrack to that?

Elena Glasberg

Question:

Most reporting on Antarctica these days tends toward the catastrophic:
ice melting, penguins starving, and now oil prices so high that
scientific research programs themselves are financially threatened
with extinction.  What’s your main message amid this noise?  And what
if, anything, do you think is the greatest threat to Antarctica
directly?  To the globe more generally?

Paul D. Miller

Response:

See above!