[iDC] Free Manuals for Free Software

Gabriella Coleman biella at nyu.edu
Mon Oct 6 00:07:09 UTC 2008

Hi Adam,

This may be my personal bias as I am familiar with Debian politics, but
why not be much more specific about Debian's critique of the FDL? You
only mention it in passing.

It seems to me that you can significantly strengthen you own position by
drawing from the existing and pretty trenchant critique of th FDL. The
debate, which was really vibrant in 2005/2006 (if I remember correctly)
really produced some interesting material, which then culminated in a GR
(http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001). It also seems imperative to
couch your own critique within the "native" critique that has come out
of the field of F/OSS proper.

Otherwise, I agree with what you say. I just think it could be made
stronger by gesturing to pre-existing critiques that have been launched,
discussed, and rediscussed almost ad nauseum  and might really contain
some great insight (and if nothing else, great quotes!)

Biella

.adam hyde wrote:
> hi,
>
> I have been etching this article on and off for a bit. I'm posting here
> in hope of some feedback...I think it might be a too heavy on the
> critique of the Free Documentation License and too light on the final
> hail to action. I'd be very interested in any comment on these points
> and any other criticisms are also very much appreciated.
> ------------
>
> ==============================
> Free Manuals for Free Software
> ==============================
>
> Many times I have searched online for information about how to use a
> particularly exciting free software and been disappointed about the lack
> of information I could find. This situation was particularly frustrating
> when it came to leading workshops. I wanted to spread the word on the
> wonderful applications available, from real time audio and video
> processing applications like PureData or Kino, through to office
> applications like Gimp or Inkscape. However I had to create my own
> manuals for my workshops as there was nothing else appropriate available
> online. Sure, some of these applications had books available which I
> could (rather expensively) purchase at the local bookstore, however I
> would have to require my students to buy the book too or rewrite
> (backward engineer) the material to avoid copyright infringement.
>
> It seemed crazy to me that I had to buy a book to learn how to use a
> free software. The problem seemed not just financial but ideological.
> How can a software be free if you have to buy a proprietary book to
> learn how to use it?
>
> At first I thought this was just a gap in the free software ecology.
> Someone simply needs to write free manuals. As it turns out this is
> largely true, however there are a few embedded issues that need to be
> dug out before free documentation can flourish. Through observation and
> experience I have come to the conclusion that the free software / open
> source sector has a blind spot when it comes to documentation which is
> retarding the development of this sector. This prejudice begins with a
> general belief that documentation is not that important and extends to
> much more extreme positions such as the Free Software Foundations
> inability to extend the same license freedoms for documentation as they
> extend to software.
>
> In time this will change as more people realise that free documentation
> is as socially and economically empowering, and subscribes to the same
> ideals, as free software itself.
>
> In this article, I'll describe what I see as problems with existing free
> software documentation, licenses, and delivery mechanisms. Then I'll
> describe attributes I think free documentation should have, along with
> the economic ecology that it needs. Finally, I'll talk about how the
> FLOSS Manuals Foundation is attempting to address these issues, and how
> you can help.

> [...]

Gabriella Coleman, Assistant Professor
Department of Media, Culture, & Communication
New York University
239 Greene St, 7th floor
NY NY 10003
http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/mcc/