[iDC] Massive Surveillance on Skype's China platform

Ronald Deibert r.deibert at utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 2 00:29:59 UTC 2008

Dear Friends and Colleagues

I am writing to announce the release of the first Information Warfare
Monitor/ONI Asia major investigative report, Breaching Trust: An
analysis of surveillance and security practices on China’s TOM-Skype
platform, written by Nart Villeneuve, Psiphon Fellow, the Citizen
Lab, at the Munk Centre for International Studies, the University of
Toronto.

The full report can be downloaded here:
http://www.infowar-monitor.net/breachingtrust/

John Markoff of the New York Times has just released a story about
the report, which will appear in tomorrow's paper, but can be found
online here:
Surveillance of Skype Messages Found in China
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/02/technology/internet/02skype.html?
ref=business&pagewanted=print

Major Findings of this report are as follows:

• The full text chat messages of TOM-Skype users, along with Skype
users who have
communicated with TOM-Skype users, are regularly scanned for
sensitive keywords, and
if present, the resulting data are uploaded and stored on servers in
China.
• These text messages, along with millions of records containing
personal information, are
stored on insecure publicly-accessible web servers together with the
encryption key required to
decrypt the data.
• The captured messages contain specific keywords relating to
sensitive political topics such
as Taiwan independence, the Falun Gong, and political opposition to
the Communist Party
of China.
• Our analysis suggests that the surveillance is not solely keyword-
driven. Many of the
captured messages contain words that are too common for extensive
logging, suggesting
that there may be criteria, such as specific usernames, that
determine whether messages are
captured by the system.

As my colleague Rafal Rohozinski and I say in the foreword to the
report, "If there was any doubt that your electronic communications –
even secure chat – can leave a trace, Breaching Trust will put that
case to rest.  This is a wake up call to everyone who has ever put
their (blind) faith in the assurances offered up by network
intermediaries like Skype.  Declarations and privacy policies are no
substitute for the type of due diligence that the research put forth
here represents."

Regards
Ron Deibert

Ronald J. Deibert