[iDC] The 50-Year Computer

Thomas Slomka tslomka at buffalo.edu
Wed Oct 1 14:44:26 UTC 2008

Gang
______________________________________
We should consider that a driving force behind the constant change of
computers my have much to do with the plasticity of the computer. The
computer is more about software than hardware. I might argue that the
real problems with computers is the hardware. You will note that the
internet is more and more becoming the place of creation, discovery,
of "computing." Truth be told the internet owes its existence to
trillions of miles of wires and billions of computers "serving" the
network. But I think you would be hard pressed to find any consumer,
user, or producer thinking of the internet as a bunch of boxes.

Listen... I can dig a hole with lots of things: shovels, sticks, my
hands, a tractor, an explosive, a dental pick and a brush. What makes
the hole useful is not what I dug it with but the fact that I have a
hole. The same is true of the computer... what is important is
algorithmic communication not what enables it.

I can still write with a pencil on paper. For some things I still do
as that is the most meaningful medium: a greeting card; a
environmental graphic... but writing an article, grant proposal,
research paper, manifesto in a socialized collaboratory where each
phrase is compared with the writing of other authors who are
interested as much in what I write as they are in what they write --
while I sit at my desk, or on a subway train, or in the park.
Powerful. Very powerful.

I do not buy a computer because I want a pretty, ergonomically
designed, intuitively programmed, piece of modern electronics in my
lap, pushed against my ear, or to tap my finger tips against. I buy a
computer to aid my ability to connect my thinking to your thinking. I
would suggest you do the same.
______________________________________
Thom. Slomka
Director of Digital Library Projects
mailto:tslomka at buffalo.edu
Schedule: http://wings.buffalo.edu/~tslomka
______________________________________
University at Buffalo
Capen Hall Rm 212
Buffalo NY 14260
wings.buffalo.edu/services/etclearn/
Fon: 716-645-7700 x4
Fax: 716-645-6207
Everything should be made as simple as possible,
but not simpler...    Albert Einstein