[iDC] The People Formerly Known as the Employers

Michael Bauwens michelsub2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 17 20:22:34 UTC 2008

Hi Brian, Mark,

I do personally not fear any lack of quality information about the world, it's all out there, thought the question is often how to find it.

However, I do fear some kind of dual society.

When I go back to Europe to zap channels in a hotel room, or when I look at the newspaper headlines of what used to be fairly qualitive newspapers in the Flanders, or look at the mix of magazines in a average newstand bookshop rack, I'm horrified at the speed of deterioration in even five short years ...

The problem as I see it is that the people who are unwilling to do the effort of creating their media ecology, or lack the skills or support to develop them, have to rely on the mainstream crap.

So what we have is increased autonomous cooperation on one side, and increased dumbing down on the other (see the videos on the mccain palin mob to have an idea of where generalized misinformation can lead to ...)

Michel

 The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer alternatives.

Wiki and Encyclopedia, at http://p2pfoundation.net; Blog, at http://blog.p2pfoundation.net; Newsletter, at http://integralvisioning.org/index.php?topic=p2p

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at  http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html; video interview, at http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/09/29/network_collaboration_peer_to_peer.htm