[iDC] please make comments regarding semantic overlay term

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 13:27:33 UTC 2008

On 18/03/2008, Sandy Klausner <klausner at coretalk.net> wrote:

> Danny,
>

> "What does your vision look like?"
>

> Again: www.coretalk.net

Interesting!

I've a lot of time for the mind map paradigm - in fact a few years ago spent
a lot time working on a personal knowledgebase system [1] with this as the
main view of a chunk of the Giant Global Graph. Cubicon sounds great!

But -
[[
Cubicon consists of a *new infrastructure* that gives form to a *community
viewpoint* where all knowledge systems are constructed from a common set of
executable design components. This *commonality* enables recombinant
components to be globally represented in a language neutral expression
medium.
]]

- that bit I'm not so sure about. The thing is, everyone already has their
own approach to building executable components - LAMP setups, scrappy bits
of Python, J2EE monstrosities, MS/OS X/Linux desktops. How might one achieve
a decent level of adoption of a new infrastructure? Surely it'll be better
to look for existing common interfaces, and build against them, thereby
reusing what's already out there..?

In other words -
[[
This automated service infrastructure will enable heterogeneous systems to
effectively communicate and initiate rapid adoption of Service-Oriented
Architecture (SOA).
]]
- something like that, only my bet would be on using (RESTful) HTTP+RDF to
leverage the existing Web infrastructure, in other words go for the Semantic
Web.

For my own stuff I've been gravitating towards an (almost)
lowest-common-denominator kind of abstraction based around simple agents
which will typically be comprised of a HTTP client, (access from) a HTTP
server, a local RDF model and local behaviour. The common interface is the
(Semantic) Web. Coincidentally I've recently been looking over the old
IdeaGraph code with a view to seriously componentizing it so I can refactor
it more closely to this approach.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1]
http://web.archive.org/web/20031008162716/www.ideagraph.net/2003-06/screenshots.htm
(oops, didn't realise it'd slipped off the Web)

--
http://dannyayers.com
~