[iDC] if AI were a reality, which, currently, it is not

subbies at redheadedstepchild.org subbies at redheadedstepchild.org
Mon Mar 17 17:48:15 UTC 2008

Two points:

One:
Actually, we don't disagree about the likelihood of AI becoming a reality.
We disagree about *why* it is unlikely to become a reality.  I disagree
with the physicality argument.  Unless you believe in magic, it seems
that the gist of that position is that people can *experience* - ie, they
have senses and their existence in space and exposure to things - via
their senses - informs their ability to comprehend the information they
come across. This is the only thing that separates them from
machines.  I don't believe in magic, and I don't believe it is impossible
to replicate the senses (as to the latter point, I suspect pattern
recognition is more than enough to accomplish this feat).  Instead, I
believe that there is nothing mystical about humanity, or
special about the senses, but that what makes us human is simply our
complexity - an extremely non-trivial problem, especially when
tackled using concrete logic.  If nothing else, people are successful at
being people  in their willingness to embrace contradiction, something
which computers are unable to do at this time, and at a very fundamental
level.  There is more difference than this, of course, but certainly this
is one of the biggest stumbling blocks to modern efforts at AI.

Two:
As for my "Church" - my "Church" is the one that says a person ought to
find realistic solutions to problems, not sit around crying like a damn
baby that someone else ought to solve their problems for them.  My church
is the church of construction, not deconstruction.  Deconstruction is for
hothouse flowers that can't be bothered to work for what they desire
and/or who are too afraid of making something that visibly doesn't work to
even try.  It's easy to tear down an existing system.  It's preposterously
hard to build a new one that works, but nonetheless we must try lest we
end up doing nothing but sitting proudly atop our rubble.

I don't believe all people should learn to program.  But I do believe that
if you truly feel that you are in thrall to an evil semantic overlord,
there is a solution that is *legitimately* within reach to rectify the
problem.  Your comparison to television was weak because there is no
legitimately realistic solution to changing what is on the channel, not
one that the average person can take upon themselves.  Programming, on the
other hand, while specialized, is nonetheless within reach and therefore
practical to my mind.  If data doesn't trouble you, don't learn to
program.  If democracy doesn't interest you, don't vote, or vote along
your party line instead of doing your research.  On the other hand, if you
feel strongly enough to believe you should retain a level of control over
these things from the powers that be, then, yes, I am afraid you must take
the matter into your own hands at some point.

So, to that end, you think semantic web standards are broken.  What do you
propose to replace them?
-Alexis

   redheadedstepchild.org
        ------- +