[iDC] please make comments regarding semantic overlay term

Paul Prueitt psp at ontologystream.com
Mon Mar 17 13:10:58 UTC 2008

What stops the exploration of topic maps in the US markets is the
stranglehold that RDF has.   One may choose to ignore the mind set
that AI and RDF have created over funding.  (www.secondschool.net)

Yes there is some value in RDF, I celebrate this also.   The point is
that there is no free market here, there is gaming and fraud.  So RDF
and topic maps do not compete on merits - unless the merits are
defined as profits to the incumbent IT powers.

Eventually, like alternating current overcoming the demonization and
distortions by Edison and friends, topic maps will be seen to be
interpretable in real time by humans and yet process-able by
computing environments.  RDF is not interpretable by normal folks in
everyday situations.  The use of RDF requires a clergy.  (Oh my, how
nice!  Profits and control.  )

The cute arguments by the RDF crowd about the

> all intents and purposes topic maps can
> be expressed in RDF

was a polemic strong enough to inhibit topic map as an alternative.
Yea for the incumbents!

Natural language use does not force a logic on us, in the same way as
OWL does.  Topic maps are entailed when interpreted by humans, much
like a book.  Logic is a religion.  It does have usefulness, but if
there is no soul to the religion; it is only one more form of control
over the masses.

You say:

> While the Semantic Web
> languages are crude in expressive ability compared to human language,
> they are considerably more tractable.

and I say " in what way "tractable".  The end goal here is not to
turn over the world to a logic machine, but to empower people to
communicate in new ways in real time about things that are happening.

Unless there is some other kind of comment, I see no reason to
continue this well know exposition... we have all seen this before.