[iDC] (no subject) - ethics

R Labossiere admin at klooj.net
Tue Jan 22 06:46:23 UTC 2008

Threads on ethics have been running here on iDC since at least April '07, variously named
Ethics of Participation, of Leisure, of (Productive) Leisure. But it was recent posts with the subject line (no subject) - ethics by Davin, Mark and Danny that prompted me to enter the fray.

I think Randolph is very sensitive to how prone we are to beating ourselves up about not much we are NOT doing; how we can be simultaneously frustrated by BOTH work that is not explicitly trying to change the world and by overtly political work that is. Which is to say, perhaps, that reading the book is not unlike therapy. You're not sure what exactly is going on but you feel better, or if not better, at least not worse... more than not worse, more than just the same, somewhat less stuck, more able to go on.

Which isn't to say the book is a cake walk; like therapy, you have to work it.

Good question Sal about the 'tone' or 'valence' of the term 'illusion', but it's better to refer to Randolph's words than mine.

Take for example Randolph's phrase "shared illusion of the experience of ethical imagining."

Why I think this notion is relevant here is that Randolph doesn't talk about individual artists or their particular commitments but puts the concept of ethics into a social/group context. Groups involve ethics, believing you all stand for the same thing, which is a kind of illusion, but I think she's talking about more than that, about sharing a kind of practice, which she calls 'ethical imagining.'

She's not talking about explicitly critical or didactic creative work. Randolph in a very entertaining way chides advertising; jingles, slogans and the fashion industry but really, to me she's gettting at something more aesthetic...

Sal's description of Winnicott is great... makes me think how advertising and consumer products fail, really, to achieve their potential to be 'transitional objects.' We don't invest that much in a brand of shampoo or sneakers. And this is perhaps how materialist-driven consumer products fail, they aren't "ethically imagined," the process is flawed from the get-go.

I should add that the text of Ethics of Luxury is accompanied by about 20 reproductions of artworks selected by Randolph and editor Ihor Holubizky. These don't so much illustrate her thesis as run parallel to the text, as examples of works where ethics are in play. These works have, like a curated exhibition, a distinct aesthetic to them; there's something prickly about them, something that is crtically challenging in terms of the conventions of representation and in terms of how they might be read in context. You might say, in terms of Winnicott, that they are more successful as transitional objects, you can love them sometimes, hate them other times, be neutral about them at other times but it would be hard to imagine anyone owning them or appreciating them as mere material objects.

I don't know how helpful I'm being in explaining the book. But to me there's something important about what she's getting at that the discourses around socially-based art practices, participatory art, relational aesthetics often don't get to.