[iDC] Social Ethics, Social Aesthetics, Social Beauty

Sal Randolph salrandolph at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 18:54:52 UTC 2008

Hey Kanarinka,

Great questions.  I'm especially glad to see you bring up the subject
of failure, which is often on my mind (we could really have a whole
"failure" thread, and I wish we would).

 >>> "Is it just me or do social art projects seem to have lots more
failure involved than other art projects?" >>>

I'm not sure social art fails more often than other art, but there
are qualities of social artworks which make them fail more
obviously.  One is that part of the purpose of traditional studio
practice is to shield the audience (and the artist) from the artist's
failures.  Lots of paintings never make it out of the studio.  A
friend (who had seen inside) told me once that Julian Schnabel was so
prolific that he had an entire (large) building full of work that had
never been shown - when his gallerist wanted to put together a show,
he just went through and picked out one or another group of pieces.
So maybe it's not that social artworks fail more often than, say,
paintings, but they fail more publicly.  You can't really do them at
all without involving other people and implicating the public in the
question of the relative failure and success of the work.

 >>>" I  am thinking of artist talks, grants, and so on, where the
main goal is to impress the audience and promote the project so you
can get a few bucks to make the next version. But it seems like these
projects would be much more interesting and might accomplish more if
we could begin to publicly talk about their failures." >>>

Here. here on this!  But I think the temptation to erase one's
failures in social projects goes deeper than just the desire to
present them in a positive light to colleagues and granting
authorities.  There is also what I think of as the "host effect."
The artist is not unlike the host of a party (not just in the context
of convivial or playful works, but maybe even more so in
uncomfortable and difficult ones) - you want your participants to
have a good/interesting experience, so there's an impulse to handle/
ignore/smooth away glitches and problems from the very beginning.

 >>> "And one of the things that is endlessly surprising are the
failures (sometimes small, sometimes large) which cause you to
reevaluate your expectations, your publics and your approach and,
ideally, to work in versions/iterations. I am thinking of failure in
a positive, learning way." >>>

Yes, and I think we might need a list of criteria for failure as much
as we do criteria for success.  To get interested in our failures we
have to notice them and  own them.  Anyone have thoughts about what
might go on such a list?

  -- Sal

PS:  As it happens, a book on failure arrived in the mail this
morning: The (wonderful) Journal of Aesthetics & Protest's recently
published, "Failure! Experiments in Aesthetics and Social
Practices."  Though it's focus is quite on artistic failure per se,
but more on "ernest actions undertaken in good faith, with a hope for
success, which not only ended poorly but were subsequently disavowed
either individually, culturally, or historically.  The used-up, the
embarrassing, the misguided and foolhardy who wagered much and lost,
the ventures which let nowhere, and which didn't serve as rallying
cries or symbolic gestures, but are quickly buried away with no hope
for a second act or a distant redemption."  So far it looks great.
http://journalofaestheticsandprotest.org/press.htm#failure