[iDC] FW: One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte Initiative

Alexis Turner subbies at redheadedstepchild.org
Wed Jan 2 19:07:24 UTC 2008

You are right, insofar as it is worthwhile and important to always look
critically at the choices we make, but you have set the bar far too high.  To
use, in your words, a measurement/goal of "first do no harm" is simply
impossible, and if we were, in fact, to attempt this as an actual rubric, we
would simply paralyze ourselves and nothing would ever get done again.  EVER.

Realistically, NOTHING is "neutral" (to use another term which has cropped up
multiple times in this conversation).  Your concern about using a
non-"innocent" technology is meaningless.  NOTHING is without effect, both ill
and positive.  The trick, then, is not to worry about every possible thing that
can go wrong, but to pragmatically assess what can realistically go wrong and what
can realistically go right and then make a decision based on that.  Does the
good outweight the harm?  This is the only question worth asking.  Period.
And don't kid yourselves.  There WILL be good.  There WILL be harm.

As far as this initiative, the trick to avoiding cultural imperialism or
whatever word of the day you want to avoid is to *give recipients choices*.  I
actually liked the Carnegie analogy a lot, because the thing about creating
libraries is that you give those communities CHOICES.  An individual can CHOOSE
to go to a library, or they can choose to forgo  the experience.  But you are
not FORCING anything on the community.  You are not GUARANTEEING that people
will flock from the communities.  You are not driving people away.  You are
giving them tools to make those decisions for themselves.

The One Laptop project may or may not cause many people in rural communities to
leave.  But, truthfully, many youth are ALREADY leaving.  And, quite frankly,
THAT IS THEIR RIGHT, AND THAT IS THEIR CHOICE.  I, for one, can think of
NOTHING more culturally imperialistic that insisting that rural individuals
maintain their bucolic lifestyle because of some perverted, *European* Romantic
notion of native life and savages, and how wonderful and lovely and important
those "pure" cultures are.

That said, the initiative is not some sort of godsend, and it will not be all
rainbows and kittens.  Just like real life.  It will bring both positive and
negative changes to these communities, and it is up to the communities to
decide whether they want them or not.  If they make the right choice, good on
them.  If they make the wrong choice, well, that is life.
-Alexis