[iDC] One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte Initiative

mlahey at artic.edu mlahey at artic.edu
Tue Jan 1 12:27:14 UTC 2008

I'd have to agree that magazines like the Economist and Forbes aren't really the
most reliable source for describing how culture works...more often they are
hyping how they would like culture to work.

Splitting hairs, and then splicing them together with other hairs:

Fatima: your strong condemnation is jolting.  Yet I would have to agree that
technology is almost never neutral.  The QUERTY keyboard on which we type a bit
more slowly is based on the Roman alphabet, no?  Having done both, I can testify
there is a huge difference between being an English speaker trying to learn
Chinese and an English speaker trying to learn German.  Sticking to your own
alphabet is LOTS easier.  I don't think Chinese adapted intuitively to the
QUERTY.  There's an extra steepness to the learning curve in such cases.
Virtual reality, 3d environments...those were first developed for military
training applications.  Obviously if children playing games derived from the
original technology are able to use them as military training applications
(Columbine), this technology has not been able to wrest itself into
neutrality.

Our social interaction has a particular structure, even if we are not aware of
it.  Our cultural expression has a particular structure. Other cultures are
other, as the German saying goes.  For example anthropologist Lila Abu-Lughod
describes that Bedouins both male and female rarely tell anyone directly what
they are feeling, but indirectly let the social group in on their private
thoughts by singing Qawwali, a traditional sort of blues composition (and
likely the direct ancestor of our modern blues form).

How do you call up your best friend and sing them a Qawwali when the whole meme
depends on it seeming as if you just happen to be singing that song?  For that
matter, the entire germination of original live music (I'm not talking about
sound waves generated by a computer in this case) is destroyed by a remote
socialization culture, and by an industrial culture, and by the consumer
culture.  In Cuba I saw the first time in my life people just spending time on
the corner messing around with guitars.  Or people sitting in a garden messing
around with poetry as if it's just a normal thing to do, a pretty game to play.
 Well, they got nothing to buy even if they had money to buy it with so they
spend time together.  Have you walked down an American street recently and seen
a group of 15 people teaching each other guitar tricks?  I didn't think so.  At
best some younger and radical people have started organizing "workshops" which
morph into the social free exchange arenas.  Go Portland (get off the drugs,
though).

What can happen from the OLPC program is that people can start waking up to the
fact that what is happening to them is wrong.  It's wrong for their culture to
start coming apart at the seams so that people in our culture can make
themselves important.  It's wrong that the traditions which provided a social
ecosystem of checks and balances are so brutally quickly destroyed, so the
system goes haywire and they start abusing each other as bad as we abuse them.
(destroying the traditional knowledge of a people creates a vulnerability that
we are practiced at exploiting) They can start communicating about it and
organizing a resistance.  That's the best that can be hoped from such a
program.

The abuses of the program are likely to happen as often as the benefits similar
to what Steve describes.  Yet resistance takes most often the form of
appropriation he described in his Grandmother's story.  And that is the other
hair.  My favorite Arjun Appadurai, "Modernity at Large" is largely concerned
with these empowering re-implementations of colonialist memes, both
technological and cultural.  I would like to point out that globalization has
been going on as long as humankind has existed and there is no halting waves of
change, no closing any border.

There was once a bitter feud in physical anthropology between archaeologists who
were studying the Iroquois and the archaeologists studying the Algonquians.
They had agreed on boundaries between the two language groups when suddenly in
the middle of those boundaries pot shards were discovered which were dissimilar
to both groups.  Some argued that it was a new Algonquian tribe, others that it
proved the existence of a new Iroquois tribe.  Some declared it must be a new
tribe altogether.  The academic papers grew quite scathing.  Yet in the end the
simple answer was not obvious - and yes, I blame their culture for their
blindness.  The Iroquois and Algonquians shared pottery techniques, and the
shards proved to have characteristics of both tribes.  They created something
together.  Holy crap.  Imagine that.   So in the end I think that Steve is also
right and that we have the power to "reprogram" technologies and cultures so
that they serve us in any way we want if we can be tough and persistent and
demanding - in Otherwords, if we can put a force into it equal and opposite to
the force of colonialism.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2006-12-20-best-buy-usat_x.htm