[iDC] 1. Some notes on value...

Adam Arvidsson arvidsson at hum.ku.dk
Sat Feb 23 20:37:45 UTC 2008

Hi Johan,

thanks for the contribution.

 From my perspective: Consumer and audiences don't produce value:
they produce wealth (or use value- I've written some on this, also
from a marxist perspective, se my Brands. Meaning and Value in Media
Culture, Routledge, 2006) The problem capitalism faces today is how
to valorize this wealth. This wasn't a problem in Smythe's days (or
rather in the then already outdated media economy that he wrote
about). In the 1950s, the value of an audience (the exchange value of
its labour power in reproducing the consumption norm, to be precise)
could be measured (and hence established) reasonably well by
estimating the time spent in front of the TV set. And this was the
way Nielsen and all the rest operated until, roughly the 1980s. But
with the advent of the remote control, vcr, satellite and all that
this measure lost its validity. And that's precisely the problem for
capital today, the absence of a measure that can valorize this
wealth  (see all the talk of intangibles). Now the absence of a
measure is an empirical indication of the absence of hegemony (says
my nietzschian reading of Marx). Maybe this absence of hegemony is
temporary, maybe new forms of control will be able to estimate the
value of all that we do in our everyday life with sufficient validity
for that life to enter into the value chain of capital as a form of
labour (developments are certainly there, see new reliance on
analytics and data mining). But then again maybe not. Maybe a
different economy will cristalize. Or maybe,( most likely scenario I
think) capitalism will change its operational value logic, into a
through a sort of New Deal focusing on ethics and sustainability..

At any rate, wage labour as we know it is hardly the norm anymore
(look at the figures and the prognosis, in particular in southern
europe) who has a steady job? Everybody's precarious! And the work
process of Linux and Microsoft simply aren't comparable. Linux
'wastes' labour time on a host of projects that never come to
anything. They can do this because labour is an abundant resource
zero cost to them. They neither have an interest nor an incentive
(nor the ability) to tell people what to do. Microsoft must
rationalize the production process so that labour costs are minimized
in relation to market price. There simply is no linear relation
between the value (whatever that is) of Linux and the labour time the
project 'consumes'. (See also second life: if you try to estimate its
value in terms of the 'free labour time'- a contradiction in terms-
invested by its users, you'll find that this figure is astronomically
superior to Linden Labs market value)

best

adam

On 21/feb/08, at 10:23, Johan Söderberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been lurking on the list for some time now, and Adam
> Arvidssons very interesting posting on the brand as a possible new
> form of value kicked me into writing a reply. I found your ideas
> about an "ethical economy" challenging when you presented them last
> autumn at the p2p conference. It certainly changes my kaleidoscope
> to start thinking of the brand as the rationalised meassurement of
> the esteem economy, instead of the normative No Logo-approach.
> However, as a complement to your framing of the question (my
> interpretation of it) as several different values opposing each
> other (starting with Marx's definition of a coercive value that is
> based on commanding labour and proceeding towards increasingly more
> ethereal, co-produced forms of value-creation, I think the same
> development could also be traced from within a closer reading of
> Marx's definition of value.
>
> Our observations on this start out from the convergence of producer
> and consumer roles, a fact that for the last two decades have been
> commented on and invested with hype by a great number of futurists,
> mainstream economists, innovation researchers etc. (A. Toffler: the
> procumer, von Hippel: user-centred innovation models, the list goes
> on). In comparison, Karl Marx noted in Grundrisse:
>
> "[...] the product becomes a real product only by being consumed.
> For example, a
> garment becomes a real garment only in the act of being worn; a
> house where no one lives is in fact not a real house; thus the
> product, unlike a mere natural object, proves itself to be,
> becomes, a product only through consumption."
>
> The newfound emphasis on consumption-as-production is predated by
> the change of heart in the 1980s wihin academia of where to look
> for acts of resistance, from industrial labour conflicts to
> consumer/audience resistance (S. Hall, de Certeau, Fiske...) As was
> pointed out at the time by the "political economist" camp in the
> debate that followed (Moscow), the decoding process by audiences
> does not offer much ground for resistance. However, as a cognitive
> and emotional investment and a source of surplus value for capital,
> we might percieve the decoding process as a sizeable factor.
>
> This idea struck Dallas Smythe in the 1980a when he tried to apply
> the Marxist law of value-concept to interpret television audiences.
> He started with a maxim known since the advent of radio, 'the
> Sarnoff Law', which states that the wealth of a broadcasting
> network stands in proportion to its number of non-paying listeners.
> Smythe deduced that the commodity sold by media networks is the
> attention of audiences. The consumer buying into this product is
> the advertiser. It follows that the audience has the role of the
> producer, together with, to a lesser extent, the paid actors making
> the tv-shows. (from the angle of mainstream economics, the same
> [...]

Yours Sincerely,
Adam Arvidsson

Actics Profile:
http://www.actics.com/adam_arvidsson

Associate Professor, Media Studies
Department of Media, Cognition and Communication
University of Copenhagen
Njalsgade 80
2300 Copenhagen S

http://web.mac.com/adamerica/iWeb/AdamArvidsson/Intro.html