[iDC] Fwd: The ethical circuit

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 16:33:31 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Michael Bauwens
 <michelsub2003 at yahoo.com> wrote:

 >  1)      Differentiating between open and closed
content/code/design, and free/paid approaches, yields for quadrants:
 >  a)      Quadrant 1 = Open and free: you can downloadcontent,
software code or open designs for free; and the moresuccessful of
these initiatives will derive income from advertising,selling the
attention. The problem remains that many will not be ableto do this

 People sell services and skills related to support and customisation.
 Customised code may be contributed back to the whole generating a
 broad scale increase in value and a product which is tailored
 precisely to the company's needs.

 >  b)      Quadrant 2 = Open and paid: why would you payfor open
code? The short answer is you wouldn't, unless it is augmentedby
differential value that is scarce and also useful in your
particularcontext; in this context you are paying for these added
value practicesthat come together with the free code, not the code
itself

 I buy Cory Doctorow's books which are also free to download.
 I buy CC-SA books which are free to download because it supports an
 author i like and because it buys my right to participate along with
 the book.
 Seemingly others do as well because the Cc books sell well.
 Imagine if the books were branded so you could see which are open
 licensed and encourage participative culture.