[iDC] introduction

Christopher Kelty ckelty at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 21:49:49 UTC 2008

Frank,

This language of exit, voice and loyalty (All Hail Albert Hirschman!)
is in the background of my thinking, and one way to think about why
the public sphere is the appropriate concept here is that it can be
compared with Hirschman's corporation.  The structure of that choice
(exit voice or loyalty) is different in a corporation than it is for a
sovereign people, who may or may not take the form of an organization.

there is another crypto-economic notion that makes sense of your
observation here, which is the notion of path-dependency, which got a
lot of play in the 1990s, and which is often used to make claims about
the advantages of standardization in technology (QWERTY being the
canonical object lesson).  In terms of exit, then, it may ultimately
become very difficult for an entire group to exit from something like
Linux (to say nothing of something like Facebook) because of path
dependency.  However, Charles Sabel once had a very nice counter
example, which is that even though we are all locked-in to the QWERTY
keyboard, we somehow engaged in a massive conversion from typewriters
to word processing software, arguably a bigger and more expensive
shift than converting to a new keyboard layout.  The lesson therefore,
is that depending on the cultural value of the difference between the
options, some kinds of exit are more likely than others... the danger
that free software recursive publics try to guard against is that of
simply maintaining a meaninful technical and legal possibility for
exit, even if no one chooses to go there...

ck