No subject

Tue Sep 18 10:10:38 UTC 2007

E-mail: mayo.fuster at eui.eu

------_=_NextPart_001_01CA5320.57D74222

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
6.5.7654.12">
<TITLE>Introduction</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hello! Hola!<BR>
<BR>
Here my short introduction to the e-list. Looking forward a fruitful =
discussion on the e-list.<BR>
<BR>
I am Mayo Fuster Morell from Barcelona living in Florence. But this week =
at Boston.<BR>
<BR>
I am doing a doctoral research on the &#147;Governance of online =
creation communities for the building of digital commons&#148; (at the =
European University Institute &#150; Florence). I analyzed the role of =
providers of platforms of participation and extracted several governance =
models according the type of provider and the relationship established =
between the providers and the community of participants/users (in terms =
of distribution of functions, ownership and authority). Finally, I try =
to explain how the model of providers affect the community growth and =
the type of cooperation generated. I did a large-N statistical analysis =
and case study comparison. My case studies comparison were based on a =
comercial service-oriented case (Yahoo for Flickr), a self-provision =
case (Social forums memory project) and an hybrid (partly open party =
close) case (Wikimedia Foundation for Wikipedia). More info on the =
research at www.onlinecreation.info<BR>
<BR>
Then I am part of Networked-Politics.info a collaborative research on =
new forms of political organizing and I am organizer of the First =
international forum on free culture and knowledge which will take place =
at Barcelona at the end of this month (Oct 29 to Niv 1 2009 <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.fcforum.net">http://www.fcforum.net</A>). The Forum =
congregates active organizations and individuals to discuss and action =
organize. The transversal working lines of the Forum program are: =
Organizational logic and political implications of free culture; Legal =
perspectives and users's access; Education and knwoledge management; =
Economies, New p2p models and sustainable distribution; and Free =
solfware and technical infrastructure.<BR>
<BR>
On the Playground and Factory conference issue, I tend to think that the =
appropriation of value generated collectively at participative platforms =
and the obtainance of profit benefits from by private companies is an =
important question that is not present at the &#147;mainstream&#148; =
discourse although it is a very important part of the picture. In this =
regard, further analyse on how this happen and how to reverse it (as the =
conference on Playground and Factory propose to do) is an important =
question. But to build a discourse that reduced the phenomenon of =
participative platforms to the exploitation (0.1) point as a response is =
not useful. I think we need to integrate the analysis with other aspects =
(such as, the reduce of the role of intermediators, the major =
empowerment of users/participants due to an increase of dependency on =
them in their role of producers, etc) and to direct the discussion =
towards what forms would be an appropriate one. In other words: What =
governance forms of collaboration online (in terms of legal bodies, =
ownership solutions, organizational principles etc) would not favor =
private appropriation of value? Or what would be a (sustainable and =
trustable outside our networks) social economy alternative to Facebook? =