[iDC] Notes Toward a Theory of Ludocapitalism (O Rly?)

Keith Hart keith at thememorybank.co.uk
Sat Sep 29 08:25:41 UTC 2007

Quite right, Julian. Or, as David Graeber writes in Lost People, his
wonderful Madagascar ethnography,

"People don't live their lives to prove some academic's point."

It's not just that life's a muddle, but rather that opening ourselves up
to what people really do and think is the most reliable way of
discovering something new in society.

What blew me away in your second picture, after all that harrowing stuff
about 12-hour working days at 30 cents an hour, was the guy with his
feet up reading a book or more likely playing Sudoko. Hard to imagine
that in a Manchester factory in 1844.

The day that we substitute dead texts for life, we might as well pack up.

Keith