[iDC] seed patents, Indian farmer suicides, and the future of Iraq

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Sat Sep 22 16:46:38 UTC 2007

Ryan Griffis wrote:

> To be clear, the US is not subsidizing food
> production in the interests of its citizens nutrition, this is all
> too clear, it is subsidizing the production of "value added"
> ingredients like corn syrup. i can make more detailed arguments if
> needed, but i imagine most of us in the US have only to look at our
> grocery store shelves to find initial evidence of this.

I never intended to argue for or against subsidies in the US, Canada or
the EU. The wikipedia article on the topic summarizes the reasons why
governments engage in this practice very well, and you are quite right
that nutrition was never an agenda. Maybe this is something that we
should push for politically - Germany for example subsidizes organic
farming with Billions of Euros - which I would categorize as a subsidy
in the nutrition category. That subsidies distorts the market for
commodities is clear and they will obviously create "loosers" in
countries whose farmers are unsupported, but have to compete and sell on
a world market.

My point was simply that subsidies establish a safety net and price
floor for the producer and in essence assists farmers in the west to
become more capital intensive. The effects of this can be seen if one
looks simply at the number of farms over the last century which dropped
from 6M in 1930 to about 170K today (Wikipedia article). I am sure it
looks similar in the EU. But we can say, western farming has become more
productive this way through economies of scale, for better or worse.
Also there is one more form of subsidy the farmers in developed
countries enjoy: disaster aid. The Canadian federal government for
example spends substantial amounts of money to bail out depressed farms
which were hit by drought, BSE, or flooding. I am sure a lot of this
money is used to pay interest and support the farms substantial
cash-flow issues that arise when crops fail.

This situation is similar for the Indian farmer in that agricultural
practise that goes slightly beyond subsistence farming requires capital.
Assuming that the farmer has access to capital, it can be spend on many
different things: more land, various seeds, machinery and fuel, storage
or processing facilities, fertilizers and weed killer, and now new in
the mix are the GM seeds. Hence, to assist an Indian farmer to 'grow'
one should allow the to access to capital through loans.  But since
lending practices in India and many other parts of the world are far
less developed, efficient AND affordable the 'microcredit schemes' have
been very influential and effective to provide access to money for
people who would otherwise not have it. This is not to say that we have
similar "unsafe" lending practices in the US - maybe it is time to
consider P2P lending there as well.

And exactly at this 'unsafe' lending in India, is where I put my hook
back to GM seeds: their use is intimately linked to banking. I believe,
that the problems their sale creates in India are much more pronounced
and quick to show, because of the lack of a solid monetary support
system. It's like selling Africans a current MacBook - when anything
breaks, assuming they even have the power to operate it - the laptop is
essentially 'bricked' and a 100% write-off for the buyer.  Thus, to
'support' the operation of a MacBook in Africa really requires more
money than the initial investment. This is why the OLPC computer that is
supposed to lift the developing world into the 21st century IT wise, is
specifically designed to be cheaper in the first place, much more
rugged, modular and to be repaired easier. Exactly the same happens with
GM seeds, which require the special expensive fertilizer and machinery
to actually be succesfull. Thus I would simply say, GM seeds are like
high-tech IT equipment for this reason, and should simply not be sold in
places that cannot afford all the long term expenses that may come with
it. And now my argument loops back to the microcredit scheme where the
lender and the creditor are much closer together: if I lend capital to a
farmer in India, I could conceivably have control over how the money is
spend - much more control than giving my money to an anonymous NGO or
relying on heavily lobbied governments to do the job for me - and this
what I personally find so 'practical' about this idea of
'strings-attached P2P lending to developing world farmers'.

One can also broaden this approach of 'strings-attached lending' in my
view. The provincial government here for example is successfully
influencing environmental policy to houses by giving out interest free
loans for energy efficiency home upgrades - essentially a microcredit
with strings attached. The problem with the program is, that it is too
'micro' (only $2K) and the banks or private investors are nowhere to be
seen (funding for example a $15K geothermal heat-pump system).

I want to also point out, that this argument does not evaluate any other
issues associated with GM seeds on other fronts such as patent lock-in
or the ecological impact of this stuff. That is for another discussion
and another email. For me - at this capital-on-the-ground level - GM
seeds are just another instance of the many forms of how our societies
'industrialize' farming practice.

--AS

PS: And I fully admit of being a hypocrite, because I did NOT go to the
farmers market today but took the well trodden path to the supermarket
as usual. Shame on me.