[iDC] seed patents, Indian farmer suicides, and the future of Iraq

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Thu Sep 20 12:46:28 UTC 2007

Nancy Scola wrote:

> Without further ado, the story is below. <http://nancyscola.com>
>
> Why Iraqi Farmers Might Prefer Death to Paul Bremer's Order 81

Thanks for the story. I was neither aware of the plight in India nor the
orders affecting Iraq ... I guess what troubles me most, is that inner
"told you so" feeling: these stories do not seem unexpected to me.

Going forward however, one desperately needs practical solutions. Ones
that go beyond "the good old days" farming nostalgia - agriculture must
adapt to the realities imposed by the population growth. Ones that
politicians can be made to push and represent - ways the Monsanto's of
the world can be made to perform more responsible actions. Ones that
ordinary city-dwellers can associate with - ways to affect farming
practices with your wallet.

A few ideas come to my mind:

The Indian farmer problem seems to be as much an economic/monetary issue
as it is a patent/corporate-lock-in one. As much as GM seeds highlite
the problems arising form imposing capital-intensive production methods
on non-capital-based agricultural economies, it is probably not the only
form to create ruin. Canadian wheat farmers in Saskatchewan, although
operating at 100x the capital level, face essentially the same problem
through their expensive machinery and storage facilities even if they
don't grow GM crops. So in the end it is access to long term capital at
reasonable rates that makes the difference. In the west, governments
keep bailing out depressed farming economies through subsidies and
emergency aid. But in the developing world there is not comparable
support structure in many cases. So how about a microcredit scheme
specially targeted to farming and supported by people like you and me.
Microcredit schemes are worth a Nobel Price
(http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/2006/press.html).
P2P lending system are now in place and seem to be working
(http://www.mapleleaftwo.com/p2p-lending-emerges/). And as an added
benefit, this may even give us (who are investing money) leverage on
what crops the farmer (who are borrowing) could plant - i.e. my credit
may have strings attached. Would I do it? Maybe, especially if I am not
alone investing.

Another big problem seems to be the lack of alternative seeds. GM crops
can be very productive, so they do act as an irresistible lure - never
mind the marketing. But do low-risk alternatives exist in the
marketplace. One idea may be to borrow from Open Source Software: more
public domain crops which are competitive with yields and features of
current GM crops need to be developed and made available by governments
around the world. Support systems like http://www.bioforge.net are a
start, but do not transpire any real choice to farmers on the ground yet
it seems. So politically this could be facilitated through laws aimed at
opening up the competitive arena. Just like Microsoft was made by the EU
to open software protocols (and pay a hefty fine, which they did just
now), biotech companies could receive the same treatment and be forced
to share some of their genetic IT to allow parallel developments to
actually happen. Let's hope the EU continues their current leadership in
this area ...

As for the city dwellers: at least ASK for that fair-trade coffee at
Starbucks and TRY to make it to the local farmers market this weekend. ;-)

--AS