[iDC] Reply to Abe Burmeister

Abe Burmeister abe at abstractdynamics.org
Thu Sep 20 01:26:49 UTC 2007

Hi Nate,

I think you read on Latour's use of network is pretty accurate, and
he's made it pretty clear that he himself is aware of the limitations
of his use of the term. In many senses what Latour calls a network is
really just a tracing of historical connections. The only way these
connections can be identified as a "network" is through the actions
of the author themselves. Beyond that even if we assume the author is
accurate in their tracings, the extent that the various nodes of the
"network" are actually connected generally look in many ways like
historical accidents, and of course Latour's sociology often
resembles history as much as it does sociology. It certainly doesn't
leave us with either much in the way of either predictions nor
prescriptions for action.

In contrast the networks Galloway talks about, TCP/IP for the most
part, a very much *actual* networks, in that the connections between
the nodes are very much real, easily identifiable and highly
codified. When you talk about the internet in the singular as if it
was one object, you can literally (albeit only with massive
resources) prove that the entire network is deliberately connected
into one massive entity. The only place you can prove that an ANT
network is connected together is in the texts of an ANT practitioner.
That doesn't mean the ANT network is imaginary though, and in fact
where things get really interesting is when you start looking at the
mathematics of actual networks, and realize that they are showing
patterns very similar to what we see in the real world. In particular
I'm thinking about the work of Albert-László Barabási which develops
what could be called the mathematics of radical inequality, while
showing how a network like the internet which had been expected to
create a space of rather equal distribution instead created a space
where certain nodes (Google, Ebay, Amazon, Yahoo and the like)
dominate the landscape. These distribution patterns are pretty much
the same as what we see in other radically unequal areas, most
notably in income distribution, which Vilfredo Pareto famously showed
follows distribution in which 20% of most any given population will
control 80% of the income.

So then what happens when you go back to ANT, which is at the moment
essentially an ethnographic/historical technique for doing sociology
and add network mathematics to the mix? It's not something I can even
hope to answer, but it also seems like something rather promising
none the less.

cheers,
Abe