[iDC] (no subject)

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 16:42:59 UTC 2007

On 9/8/07, saul ostrow <sostrow at gate.cia.edu> wrote:

> workers of the world unite to virtually break your material chains
> Why a strike,, I wonder why they don't just take over the company,
> set up a soviet, or grant themselves all the benefits they want given
> everything is possible in SL - maybe because they realize this
> doesn't translate into much of anything in material life -

well, as stephen colbert recently pointed out, this is merely an extension
of the essential (and quinetessentially american) right to
self-determination . . .
http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/player.jhtml?ml_video=91912&ml_collection=&ml_gateway=&ml_gateway_id=&ml_comedian=&ml_runtime=&ml_context=show&ml_origin_url=/shows/the_colbert_report/videos/most_recent/index.jhtml%3Fstart%3D16&ml_playlist=&lnk=&is_large=true

*http://tinyurl.com/ysy2ex*

transcript at:
http://www.nofactzone.net/?p=2065

more interesting at the moment are the efforts of LabourStart in the UK in
support of Fremantle workers: <http://www.wewillnotbesilenced.org/>. thanks
to threats from Fremantle, the ISP shut down their site, but LS moved it
offshore (see: <http://barnetunison.blogspot.com/>). it is imo a tasty
irony, and a great story. they clearly had got under Fremantle's skin with
the email campaign. and now offshore doesn't just mean corporations
employing cheap, non-unionized labor. corporations hoist on their own
petard, maybe?

i guess we'll see.

Jeffrey Fisher
DemocracyInAction.org | Director of Community Development
o: 202.558.2808 x115 | m:773.960.3599
http://www2.democracyinaction.org/blog

*Wiring the progressive movement*