[iDC] Notworking online collaboration in science and education

Danica Radovanovic danica.radovanovic at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 20:09:30 UTC 2007

Thank you Tania for mentioning Lenoir's article. It is good primer how
net/not working in scientific
and academic institutions can be changed, as you described, by adjusting the
content
(interesting, appealing projects) and the software (new CMS with
personalized interface).

Indeed, I agree with you on academic gate-keeping of research papers, online
databases from broader
scientific audience, but as you have mentioned situation is changing and I
can observe from real practice
and participate in projects of open access/archiving or self-publishing of
the authors involved in science, art,
technical documentation, etc. Seems that situation varies from different
geographical spots, economy, education
system and other factors of a country.

Tania gave great reference of US research institutes and developing their
own collaborative networking platform,
and I would like to get back to the topic of net/notworking, above
mentioned, especially within science communities
on international level (for example: idea of 'within Europe there is
eConsortia with 50 members countries
and each country has its micro online science community').
.
What I would like to find out (more in depth) is what makes that online
(academic, scientific) community
interactive, interesting and useful?
iDC list is also 'micro' online community with own intern communication
form.
What makes online community with its users or/and coordinators/moderators
more active, networking and not being idle?
I have three basic components: (interesting) Content, Users, eMarketing. And
managing of course.

What would be yours beside these three? Some ideas?

And the second related topic to think about:
Almost every institute, university, eConsortia, library,  or edu/sci. center
has online community and online community manager, person who manages
community, blogs, wikis, forum, listservs, etc.
In other words, person (online community manager) who is behind the virtual
door of community (either micro or macro), should coordinate/motivate
individuals from different countries/backgrounds, 'train', teach them
through eTutorials or other methods to use existing tools so contribute to
community, for the future expansion of them building their own micro- online
community incorporated into larger one.
How would you inspire other professionals involved in science and education
to use web 2.0 applications as a tool for social networking and their own
work? They cannot say 'lack of time' as from Tania's primer, as it is (in
some cases) incorporated in their work.
How to motivate, teach and guide people from diversity of culture, education
(some of them are, e.g., intimidated by using 'new tools', web
2.0applications or using ICT's in general or are not good in English,
etc.)?

Thanks,
Danica