[iDC] Guidance on Fan Labor?

Mark Deuze mdeuze at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 3 12:26:16 UTC 2007

hi Nancy!

first off: this sounds like a great project! in fact, I am working with
some students here at IU on a similar endeavor on independent
production of culture, with case studies in indie gamework, indie
music, and alternative press. lets exchange what we know :-)

about your question regarding the free labor that fans do and how this
practice is not only becoming increasingly popular (with as 'trend
amplifier' digital/networked technologies), but also increasingly
utilized by both grassroots/bottomup organizations as by mainstream,
corporate and transnational companies...

as mentioned by others, there are many more knowledgeable on this list
- so... my road into this topic started with authors such as Michael
Hardt (on 'affective labor'), Maurizio Lazzarato (on 'immaterial
labor'), via social theories of work (Ulrich Beck, the late Andre Gorz,
Richard Sennett), towards exploring some perspectives that look beyond
'value theories' of labor. I must confess i am more interested in how
media professionals deal with all this audience/fan activity and how
they see their own professional identity in the context of having to
compete with audiences for a chance to create content.

i hope this helps. perhaps it is of interest to know that John Banks
(QUT) and I are guest editing a special issue of the International
Journal of Cultural Studies on 'co-creative labor', so let me takes
this opportunity to invite you and the colleagues on this list to
submit! the official call for papers will follow soon - but we have a
working deadline for final paper submissions by August 2008...

cheers, Mark

--
Mark Deuze
Department of Telecommunications