[iDC] fidelity [shelf life]

Simon Biggs s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
Wed Nov 28 10:23:40 UTC 2007

What is the difference between a Bach concerto played on original
instruments and a performance employing 19th century instruments and
orchestration? Which is the real Bach? How far can a work be interpreted
before it gets broken, if it ever can be broken?

The orchestrators and conductors that introduced the 'original instruments'
approach to interpreting Bach in the 1970's and 80's thought they were
"returning" to a truer interpretation of Bach whilst those familiar with the
19th C way of doing Bach thought this new approach sounded appalling.

The sort of debates that raged in the classical musical world about
authentic interpretation have since diminished. I have the impression that
people are more willing to take a relativist view that accomodates a range
of approaches.

Why can't this approach be the case in respect of a Lewitt wall drawing or
the re-staging of a highly mediated artwork. The question would seem to
concern how we might establish methods for evaluating authenticity that are
non-restrictive and what implications this might have for notions of
originality and authorship.

Regards

Simon