[iDC] shelf life

Richard Rinehart rinehart at berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 19 23:54:21 UTC 2007

>On the specifics of preservation:  when it comes to code-based art,
>which most interests me, I think that emulation, as Richard
>suggests, is the way to go.  But this is a matter that goes beyond
>preservation of art.  I don't know of any open source projects which
>are exploring emulation for the sake of preserving computer
>materials but there must be some out there.

What about MAME, the video-game emulator? I agree there are not many
such projects out there, but this might be one example.

Emulation is a great idea (see
http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/rothenberg/contents.html), but it is
also not a silver bullet solution. We have tried emulation on a few
case study art works and the results are mixed. Of course, emulation
is only a partial strategy when dealing with works (or more general
cultural artifacts) that include a physical component or that
directly involve the Internet, environment, or social behaviors. One
still needs an over-arching form of documentation (like a musical
score) that guides one in the future to re-create/re-perform the
work, some components of which may be emulated (if one is lucky).

>This kind of technology holds out a great deal of hope that code and
>computer materials generally can be disengaged from specific
>generations of hardware.

I so agree that it's crucial to disambiguate hardware from
software/physical from logical, in order to preserve digital content.
--

Richard Rinehart