[iDC] shelf life

Craig Bellamy txt at craigbellamy.net
Mon Nov 19 12:47:20 UTC 2007

Adrianne asks some interesting questions. And yes, preservation is a
debate, and yes, things become redundant, and yes, good art is sometime
lost to bad.

The tricky question that is often not addressed is significance. We at
the AHDS preserve all digital works funded under the UK's Arts and
Humanities Research Council's as they are all ready deemed significant
as they have already been awarded public money thorough a competitive
system. But in the broader world, significance is not always as obvious.
ie. is isn't always obvious who the work is significant to. Significance
is a debate and in the digital preservation world this is 2 pronged. A
computer file has significant properties that need to be preserved but
the file must also deal with some sort of significant thing. Sure, not
everything is going to be deemed 'significant' by our institutions; this
is a eternal debate. It doesn't need preserving.

best,

Craig

--
Dr Craig Bellamy
Arts and Humanities Data Service (AHDS)

http://www.craigbellamy.net/ (Blog)
http://ahds.ac.uk/ictguides/ (Work)
http://www.linkedin.com/in/craigbellamy (Net-work)

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." Speech to Parliament 1783 (William Pitt Younger)