[iDC] shelf life

Annette Weintraub annette at annetteweintraub.com
Wed Nov 14 04:07:22 UTC 2007

Hello, everyone,

Trebor has kindly asked me to start a topic on
the list.  I am interested in asking some
questions about the longevity or 'shelf life' of
new media art, as it affects individual studio
practice, curation and archiving- particularly
from the pov of the practitioner. The question of
shelf life as it applies to the currency of ideas
or movements or the historical record is
tangential, but could play some  role in the
discussion.

First, let me introduce myself: I am an artist
who began her career as a painter, and began
working with digitally manipulated images in the
late 80s; I started making web-based projects and
video in the early 90s while continuing to make
still images. I'm interested in the visual
language of architecture and how the built
environment and the intrusion of media in public
space shape our psychological sense of place, and
ultimately our behavior and perception.  I'm
currently working on a series of still images
based on 3D models that are hybrid
representations of constructed urban space. I'm
also working on a web project that reinterprets a
series of texts on urbanism through changes of
visual presentation. I am a professor at The City
College of New York where I founded and teach in
the BFA of Electronic Design and Multimedia,
although I'm now taking a short turn as
Department Chair.

I started thinking about shelf life some time ago
when It became evident that if I was going to
preserve some of my earlier web-based work, I
would have to go back and 'update' it. I did
this, but not without some small resentment,
because I prefer spending time making new work as
opposed to reworking the past, and also not
without some uneasiness that at some future date
I might have to do this all over again. (of
course, one response might have been to leave
things aloneŠ). I began to look at my video and
print work with a different eye-it had an
agreeable stability, the work was 'finished,'
fixed in time, and aside from possible
conservation issues had an independent existence
in the world.

Art is not always about object-making, and
perhaps for web-based work, non-objectification
is an essential attribute which comes with a
different expectation of the work's lifespan or
perpetuation. That may be true of other kinds of
new media practice as well. However I
increasingly am getting the sense that many new
media artists have a kind of retrofit fatigue
that has little parallel in other kinds of
artistic practice. There seems to be an odd
paradox of 'long gestation, short lifespan' that
seems very particular to new media.

Frequently, in conversations with students or
peers, I've struggled to describe work created in
a technological climate that no longer exists, or
tried to give context to work that was created
when some particular web mechanism spawned a run
of very interesting projects that no longer work
because the underlying browser technologies have
changed. Not only is the work literally
unavailable, but the creative climate in which it
was created sometimes seems increasingly remote,
even after just a few years.

Ephemerality in art is nothing new, but perhaps
this is a different kind of transience than that
of other modes of art that exist momentarily and
then reside in memory or photo
documentation-performance, conceptual art, body
art, and site-specific work come to mind. The
Kinetic Art of the 60s was more purely
sculptural; although perhaps it can be better
categorized just as sculpture that came with
built-in, future mechanical problems. While
performance or conceptual art can be spontaneous,
gestural, open-ended and casual, that's often not
the case of new media production. Many new media
artists work on large-scale projects that involve
a period of research into new technologies,
prototyping, collaborations with others from
other disciplines or other practices for which a
long period of development is often the norm.

Mythically, art objects have been imagined [or
hoped] to have a kind of eternal life. Barring
physical destruction, but acknowledging cultural
difference, contextual change, and continuous
reinterpretation, the [traditional] art object
has a kind of inner stability/integrity that
defies time. This is often irrespective of
judgments of quality or fashion, but something
that resides in the object itself, an
indissoluble lamination of medium and idea. The
Tamayo painting that recently was found in the
trash went through cycles of loss and discovery,
but it remained recognizable as a painting, and
even buried in trash was 'available' to be
rediscovered.

What do we claim for new media art? Do works
expire when the technologies that are their
raison d'être have become commonplace and are
rendered invisible by change? Is there a quality
of reduced shelf life in new media, in which
technologies experimented with and then abandoned
or surpassed go the way of Bruce Sterling's Dead
Media Project? And if so, what does that mean for
individual studio practice in this area?

I'm most curious to hear from those of you who
have orphaned interactive projects,  web pieces
that break in the current browsers and garages
full of boxed-up installations that run on
equipment that's no longer produced.

Best,
Annette Weintraub
http://www.annetteweintraub.com